H80 - 3.5MM connector to Robo-tank

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys, Making robotank work with Kessil H80 refugium light. I can see a 3.5 mm jack connecting perfectly and from what I have read is the right one but I am having trouble how to connect it to the robotank. Any ideas? A wiring diagram or guidance will be ideal.

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, here's a diagram showing the pinout and how to connect. Remember to set the channels you use on controller to 0-10v using the dip switches.

Then in reef-pi add those ports as jacks and you can add to the light tab.

kessil.JPG

Mightythias

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested to see if this worked out for you. I have some similar lights that use the same 3.5mm connector and I wanted to check to make sure this worked before I pull the trigger on getting the Robo-Tank

swisschris104

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested to see if this worked out for you. I have some similar lights that use the same 3.5mm connector and I wanted to check to make sure this worked before I pull the trigger on getting the Robo-Tank
i tested it with nicrew lights and it works the same way, no issues just dont forget to change switches

OP
OP
k2-

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is working great for me , I currently have my refugium light with 3.5 mm connector and a custom built blueacro with robo tank. No complains and plus I like intellectual curiosity it instills than just plug and play.

Mightythias

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i tested it with nicrew lights and it works the same way, no issues just dont forget to change switches
I also have the Nicrew Lights. What did you use for the cable to the Robo-tank? Was it something you bought that was prebuilt or did you modify a 3.5 cable yourself?
Also not sure what you mean but change switches. Can you elaborate? I haven't received my robo-tank yet so I have not been able to test anything out.

swisschris104

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have the Nicrew Lights. What did you use for the cable to the Robo-tank? Was it something you bought that was prebuilt or did you modify a 3.5 cable yourself?
Also not sure what you mean but change switches. Can you elaborate? I haven't received my robo-tank yet so I have not been able to test anything out.

Can order and 3.5mm TRS audio cables, I bought these

Just cut the cable in, plug the 3.5 side into the Nicrew ands strip the wires that you cut and plug the wires into the robo-tank pwn channel, and plug the ground, in my case the black wire into the ground on robo tank board
1618541167729.png

These are the switches I am referring too
1618541189585.png

Rob has a bunch of documentation here: https://www.robo-tank.ca/reef-pi_Related_User_Manuals

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @swisschris104 shows you need to cut off one end of the cable you buy. With a continuity meter you can find out what wire goes to tip, ring and sleeve.

swisschris104

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can order and 3.5mm TRS audio cables, I bought these

Just cut the cable in, plug the 3.5 side into the Nicrew ands strip the wires that you cut and plug the wires into the robo-tank pwn channel, and plug the ground, in my case the black wire into the ground on robo tank board
1618541167729.png

These are the switches I am referring too
1618541189585.png

Rob has a bunch of documentation here: https://www.robo-tank.ca/reef-pi_Related_User_Manuals

I was wrong about the monoprice TRS cables dot buy them. They are horrible. Yeah he wire when you cut em are unusable.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back