Had this hitchhiker on the glass this morning, can someone ID?

averagesteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Just added my first trial corals to the 2 month old tank a few days ago. I did do a 7ish minute dip and blow off in Coral RX, not sure if this hitchhiker came in on the frags or some other way. It was on the glass shortly after lights turned on, was crawling along like a snail, but not sure, very tiny about a couple cm maybe. I'm thinking some sort of snail or flatworm? Maybe a really young Stomatella snail, or a ghost flatworm or something? TIA

1667316866159.png

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Just added my first trial corals to the 2 month old tank a few days ago. I did do a 7ish minute dip and blow off in Coral RX, not sure if this hitchhiker came in on the frags or some other way. It was on the glass shortly after lights turned on, was crawling along like a snail, but not sure, very tiny about a couple cm maybe. I'm thinking some sort of snail or flatworm? Maybe a really young Stomatella snail, or a ghost flatworm or something? TIA

1667316866159.png
I believe that's a baby stomatella.

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

1667316866159.png
I was thinking ghost flatworm but can tell by pic. Was it swimming at any time?

OP
OP
A

averagesteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking ghost flatworm but can tell by pic. Was it swimming at any time?
I could not tell if it were swimming at any time, my observation before I left for work for a few minutes was that the front part of it to the right of the picture was kinda moving back and fourth like a snail does when it eats, and it just moved along the glass really slowly.

WirelessMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not smart enough to know the scientific genus, but I like the answer above. Had a buttload of them for a while. Wrasse dispersed them with extreme prejudice.

OP
OP
A

averagesteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that's a baby stomatella.
I think this may be correct, I will look up pictures of babies and see if this is what they look like, really just trying to make sure it wasn't something that was going to cause me issues down the road like bad flatowrms.

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this may be correct, I will look up pictures of babies and see if this is what they look like, really just trying to make sure it wasn't something that was going to cause me issues down the road like bad flatowrms.
I had them at one point, probably like 100 at the worst point. They didn't do any harm just really ugly covering all my rock work. Cleaned every little bit of algae off and then most died off. The biggest drawback I had from them was they were ugly to look at and their shells kept jamming my wave makers.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 7.1%
Back