Had to go to the hospital because of a clown fish, how embarrassing.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was doing my typical Sunday coralline scrape on my tank and was leaned over trying to reach the side walls. I usually have to stretch really far on the step ladder to get the corners and end up usually looking directly in the tank.

For the first time ever, one of my orange clowns got aggressive and kept going after my hand. I lost track of him and he decided to shoot up out of the water and nipped me right in my eye and managed to actually cause damage to my cornea. He must have jumped about 10 inches out of the water to hit me in the eye; and I had no idea that could ever happen. Luckily I was told it will heal but my vision is currently blurry.

I don't want to remove the little guy from the tank as he was just defending himself; I guess the next time I clean the tank i'm going to wear rubber arm gloves and acrylic glasses. :)

I feels silly to wear armor against a clown fish. I had NO idea these things can be aggressive like that.

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's crazy! I had no idea that was even possible. I've had a clown jump 4" out of the water and smack into my cheek but 10" and hit you in the eye? I had no clue they had power like that behind their jumps

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't keep clowns any longer due to their aggression. My single clown would attack me constantly. Thankfully I was never in a position for it to jump and attack me like yours did. Hopefully your eye heals cleanly and you don't get an infection.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch. I am sorry you got that hurt. Clownfish can be quite vicious. I did not have them for some time, but now I have four pairs and one spare (lost his mate). Even they can be a real pain, I love them.

You should start a safety line of gear for aquatics people called clown armour. :)

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
clownfish 1 - 2wheels 0
:p

sorry to hear.
I service a buddies tank that has a 5" maroon clown. hate the little bugger. I'll have my hand in the tank 4 feet away from him and he charges me every time.
granted its a Maroon so its almost expected lol.

OP
OP
2Wheelsonly

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they Paint eye's on fishing lures for a reason, but really feed your fish more.

I feed 2x daily, could the fish not eating enough cause that level of aggression? This is the first time it's done this in over a year of being in my tank.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow.

I've heard of scary clowns, but going out of the water after your face? Just... wow.

ScaryClown.png

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an eye doctor, i thought i had heard of everything... until now! I've never heard, "hey doc, my fish bit my eye" in over 20 years of practice, lol. Hope it heals well...keep an "eye" on it.

Last edited:

GQuinn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair of clowns for about a year. No problems from them, then one day they started attacking my hands. Every time I put my hands in the water they were going after me. I couldn't take it anymore, took them to the local pet store. No clowns for me.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%
Back