OP
OP
TonysReef

TonysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing as I have everyone's attention, one last post for the night as the tank lights turn off.

I keep forgetting to post this, but the other week I got a replacement blue anemone which has much nicer colors and another purple. The blue I haven't taken proper pics of yet, stay tuned. But the purple is very interesting in that it has not one, but TWO buds/splits coming off of it. Really looking forward to the progression and seeing how long it takes for some independent baby haddonis. I'll be making a new thread to document this in the clown/anemone forum, but figured those subscribed here deserved a sneak peak.

IMG_6352.JPG

IMG_6356.JPG

IMG_6365.JPG

IMG_6367.JPG

IMG_6377.JPG

IMG_6438.JPG

OP
OP
TonysReef

TonysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally caught a pistol shrimp!! I tried using some food in a bottle trap, but when I checked the trap ten minutes later a medusa worm had pulled all the food out for itself. The pistol was out in the open though, so I tried to snag it with tongs, but I missed. Then after waiting it came out again and I decided to try using a hose to siphon it out. Accidentally grabbed an anemone and a goni for a second, but finally got him. One down, one to go.

IMG_6442.JPG

OP
OP
TonysReef

TonysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I realized yesterday that it would be disingenuous to not show the nipped fins and hyper-melanization.

Things have gotten better, but there is still aggression. I attribute most of it to the fact that they all still like to sleep in the same anemone, during the day they really don't squabble much.

I'm hoping as they mature a bit more they feel comfortable sleeping alone or in their subgroups.

DSC_1379.JPG

DSC_1380.JPG

DSC_1384.JPG

DSC_1385.JPG

DSC_1386.JPG

DSC_1387.JPG

DSC_1389.JPG

DSC_1390.JPG

DSC_1391.JPG

DSC_1392.JPG

DSC_1393.JPG

DSC_1395.JPG

DSC_1396.JPG

DSC_1398.JPG

DSC_1401.JPG

DSC_1402.JPG

DSC_1403.JPG

DSC_1404.JPG

DSC_1405.JPG

DSC_1407.JPG

DSC_1408.JPG

DSC_1411.JPG

DSC_1412.JPG

DSC_1413.JPG

DSC_1414.JPG

DSC_1415.JPG

DSC_1420.JPG

DSC_1421.JPG

DSC_1423.JPG

DSC_1425.JPG

OP
OP
TonysReef

TonysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did an LFS tour yesterday and picked up a few new pieces. A bubblegum digi, a pink milli, a goldish goni, and a green alveopora.

Bubblegum digi along with the green canary in a coal mine sps frag I got a few weeks ago:

IMG_6482.JPG

IMG_6481.JPG

IMG_6491.JPG

Pink milli (I would have preferred to stand it up, but at the store it was laying like this and the bottom is basically dead, so why not just keep it that way and let it grow upward):

IMG_6487.JPG

IMG_6484.JPG

Goldish goni with blue tips (hasn't extended yet, opens up really nice though):

IMG_6492.JPG

Green alve on the left to round out my alveopora garden rock:

IMG_6493.JPG

And took a few random pics.

IMG_6483.JPG

IMG_6486.JPG

IMG_6488.JPG

Splotchy carpet is finally starting to color up:

IMG_6489.JPG

Started to organize my goniopora garden on the frag rocks. Tomorrow I have a dremel coming in so that I can cut a bunch off the giant frag plugs and disks and put them on smaller ones to better organize. Also put the purple up on top:

IMG_6485.JPG

Obligatory full tank shot:

IMG_6494.jpg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did an LFS tour yesterday and picked up a few new pieces. A bubblegum digi, a pink milli, a goldish goni, and a green alveopora.

Bubblegum digi along with the green canary in a coal mine sps frag I got a few weeks ago:

IMG_6482.JPG

IMG_6481.JPG

IMG_6491.JPG

Pink milli (I would have preferred to stand it up, but at the store it was laying like this and the bottom is basically dead, so why not just keep it that way and let it grow upward):

IMG_6487.JPG

IMG_6484.JPG

Goldish goni with blue tips (hasn't extended yet, opens up really nice though):

IMG_6492.JPG

Green alve on the left to round out my alveopora garden rock:

IMG_6493.JPG

And took a few random pics.

IMG_6483.JPG

IMG_6486.JPG

IMG_6488.JPG

Splotchy carpet is finally starting to color up:

IMG_6489.JPG

Started to organize my goniopora garden on the frag rocks. Tomorrow I have a dremel coming in so that I can cut a bunch off the giant frag plugs and disks and put them on smaller ones to better organize. Also put the purple up on top:

IMG_6485.JPG

Obligatory full tank shot:

IMG_6494.jpg
So glad I discovered this tank thread. Quickly becoming a new favorite!

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You not worrying about the Splotchy carpet stinging the alveopora?

OP
OP
TonysReef

TonysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulled this out of the tank yesterday, which I think was eating a small alveopora colony that wasn't doing well, hopefully it picks up now.

IMG_6517.jpg

IMG_6519.jpg

New gonioporas have started to open nicely.

IMG_6532.JPG

IMG_6533.JPG

Couldn't resist a really nice elegance:

IMG_6531.JPG

It needs to get cut down from the like 5" stem it has, fortunately I got a dremel today with the tips to do that and remove some stuff from frags so that I can properly space and scape stuff, hopefully this weekend.

Been trying to catch my remaining pistol shrimps at night, I think I still have two, no luck yet.

IMG_6521.JPG

While feeding my gonis today I realized it was a great time for a full tank top down shot. Also I ordered a porthole for my DSLR, so many more proper top down shots to come.

IMG_6530.jpg

You not worrying about the Splotchy carpet stinging the alveopora?

Are the two not meant to be friends? Because nobody told them.

IMG_6505.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
TonysReef

TonysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put most frags on new plugs and rearranged the Goni Garden and moved a rock to make some space:

IMG_6559.jpg

Updated full tank shot:

IMG_6558.jpg

I just got the neon goniopora in the middle and sort of regret it as I don't have a great spot to put it. I also put the zooanthid rock from the top center in between the rocks on the left to make space for something more interesting in the middle. I'm hoping to find a space invader pectinia for that space soon.

The big news of the day is that I just got in a porthole to take real top down shots. I don't have the energy to mess with it now, but I took a few shots to test and already love it.

Jester Goni
DSC_1450.JPG

Pink Goni
DSC_1451.JPG

Red/Yellow Goni
DSC_1452.JPG

Yellowish Green Goni
DSC_1453.JPG

Rainbow Goni
DSC_1454.JPG

ORA Goni
DSC_1455.JPG

Pipe Organ
DSC_1458.JPG

Greenish Yellow Goni
DSC_1461.JPG

BTA from the forum (linked thread)
DSC_1463.JPG

Purple Goni
DSC_1476.JPG

New Western Australian Elegance:
DSC_1479.JPG

Pink Alveopora
DSC_1482.JPG

Orange Storm in Purple Carpet
DSC_1499.JPG

Orange Storm in Pink Alveopora
DSC_1509.JPG

Goldish Goni
DSC_1523.JPG

Bicolor Carpet
DSC_1524.JPG

Going to Philly Splash show tomorrow, who knows what'll happen. Also have my eye on two carpets to finish up the haddoni garden assuming I don't find any better ones tomorrow.

Which LFS do you shop at?

Quite a few from NJ to LI. In no particular order, the ones I like:

Pop Corals
Advanced Marine Aquatics
Iconic Aquarium
Tropical Island Aquarium
New York Reef Aquatic
Reefco

That looks like a fireworm ;Wideyed

It is (was).

OP
OP
TonysReef

TonysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So bad news first. I seem to be down 4 or 5 fish and have no idea what happened to them. I would imagine somehow the red haddoni took them, the fish have always been wary of it even though they go in all the other carpets. The other culprit would be the pistol shrimp, but it is smallish and I have a really hard time believing it got so many fish before I noticed. I think within a week or two I went from 20 to 15 or 16. One of them was a jerk though, so not all bad.

As a result of that I declared war on the pistol shrimp last night. I lost. Tried to siphon it out for a while and then epoxied its burrow up (it had an escape hatch it seems).

Last bit of bad news, a snail seems to have knocked my rainbow acan off a ledge (I hate epoxy) and it seems to have fallen into a haddoni, I think the splotchy one that moved, and I think it ate the acan, with the putty. So that's great. Hopefully it spits it out soon, nothing I can do but wait and see what happens. The splotchy carpet basically moved to the red one and all but under it.

The bicolor one also decided to take a walkabout. At the moment it's on the other side of the tank, but still doesn't seem settled.

Onto the good news..

Went to Philly Splash on Saturday which was small, but a great show. After one lap I thought I would leave empty handed, but upon closer inspection the second time around I found exactly what I hoped to find before going:

A neon yellow carpet

IMG_6620.jpg

A space invader pectinia

IMG_6622.JPG

IMG_6623.JPG

And of course an addition to the goni garden:

IMG_6627.JPG

IMG_6626.jpg

Today I also stopped by Pop Corals and grabbed a new acro frag

IMG_6625.jpg

Bicolor in it's current spot:

IMG_6621.JPG

New top down:

IMG_6630.JPG

Full tank shot:

IMG_6628.jpg

OP
OP
TonysReef

TonysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those following along may remember this post from about two weeks ago:

Screen Shot 2019-09-21 at 7.59.57 AM.png

After catching that little ******* my elation fairly quickly subsided as I realized I still had clicking coming from both sides of my tank, so my one remaining pistol shrimp was still two. I kept trying the bottle trap to no end and finally last night I decided it was time to lift some rock out of the tank and finally freshwater dip them out.

After lifting the one rock I knew had one in it out this little bugger dropped right out onto my styrofoam lid. So far so good.

IMG_6640.JPG

It actually gave me the opportunity to rescape the left side of the tank which was nice as I wasn't optimizing space well. In looking at the above picture I'm fairly certain that one was carrying eggs, so hopefully I don't end up with a ton of babies, at that point I would just take the tank down and start over. Hopefully any eggs that fell off the copepods take care of. I have a ton of them.

After watching the tank for a while longer I saw a big ******* on the right side of the tank by the clownfish sleeping, so another rock came out and this ******* fell out:

IMG_6644.JPG

So far so good, but then I realized there was still one left in the left rock structure I had already removed! I tried plugging up the rock holes with glue and carbon reactor media, but he kept finding new escape hatches. So this morning the rock came out of the tank again, and alas:

IMG_6645.JPG

So that's four down. I think there is actually only one more left on the right side. The rightmost rock I'm not too keen on taking out, but I may do so tonight if I hear the clicking again. Not sure if the blue carpet is attached to it somehow. But if I have to upset it to finally have a silent tank I will.

I really love my real live rock and most of the life on them, but these pistol shrimp are beyond annoying. I'm still not sure if they're actually responsible for killing my 5 fish. I feel like I would have seen some evidence of that if it were the case. Either way, I enjoy flushing them down the toilet and can't wait to be done with this chapter.

I also finally managed to remove the small green carpet I've been wanting to get rid of from a rock, so that's in the refugium now, hoping to sell it this weekend.

Heading to a bunch of stores today, odds of me coming back empty handed are none and none.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TonysReef

TonysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, after posting yesterday I ended up pulling out a large rock without success to find the clicking. In so doing I managed to break my bubblegum digi frag which is upsetting, but one of my LFS's is meant to be getting a malaysian acro shipment next weekend, so maybe I'll be happy for the real estate.

This morning I heard some more clicking and pulled a smaller rock out though and managed to find not one, but TWO little jerks. Unfortunately one managed to escape into my chaeto in the refugium. I half don't mind as I realized how much detritus was at the bottom of my chaeto in trying to catch it. Cleaned some of that out and I'll modify my refugium a little to avoid it in the future. Once I get rid of the carpet I have in my fuge I'll properly hunt it out. Second one was successfully captured and flushed though.

IMG_6674.JPG

So that's five down, number six in the sump. And I can't be sure until I catch the sump shrimp, but I think there is still clicking in the tank. I don't even know how the limited rockwork I have supported all of these things. Either way, it's nice to be winning battles, but the war isn't yet over.

Onto the good news. Went to a few stores this weekend and managed to snag a cool dendro colony at a steal of a price and a new goni.

Dendro opened within ten minutes of being thrown in the tank without acclimation. (I was exhausted from battling the pistols in the morning and couldn't be bothered to acclimate)

IMG_6651.JPG

IMG_6654.JPG

New Goni has some cool coloration:

IMG_6655.JPG

More to come later this week or next weekend. I ordered a neon green carpet finally. Been trying to find one for ages.

Can the gonioporas touch the carpets?

I have gonis and alveopora touching the carpets without issue.

Very nice tank. Where did you get the anemones?

A few online vendors, can't say that I would really recommend most of them for one reason or another though.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back