Hair Algae Battle

ThatFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody,
I have a marineland 39 gallon cube reef tank that has been setup for almost a year now. I currently have 7 corals (2 tree leather corals, a single candy cane, a nice size hammer, some gsp, a duncan coral and a branching pavona). My fish are: a diamond goby, lawnmower blenny, 3 clownfish and a bluegreen chromis. Which I only feed twice a week and my corals I do not feed. My equipment consists of: a kessil A160WE with the hard mount, a skimz sn 123 monzter protein skimmer, a coralife 9 watt uv and an aquarium solutions chiller. A few months ago I encountered a hair algae problem and thought it was no big deal only being in a few spots in the tank. long behold a few months later (present time) I have an outbreak! I have tried a tank blackout for a for a few days (kinda nervous with the corals), picking it out only to have it grown back in a week, i have tried chemi pure elite, I have tried the poly filter and water changes out the yin yang but nothing seems to be working. I have tested my water and everything is perfect according to my tests and the ones at the LFS, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and Phosphates all being zero. I have even purchased the 37 gallon cube reef cleaner pack with the hermits from ReefCleaners.com in hopes of that helping. I am at my wits end with this. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Last edited:

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try algaefix, it will work great for a while, but it leaves the algae that none of the fish or clean up crew will eat. So I would look at your nutrient export and see if you can export more. The algae in the tank is absorbing it so your readings look fine, but there's too many somewhere.

OP
OP
ThatFishGuy

ThatFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try algaefix, it will work great for a while, but it leaves the algae that none of the fish or clean up crew will eat. So I would look at your nutrient export and see if you can export more. The algae in the tank is absorbing it so your readings look fine, but there's too many somewhere.
Thanks for replying Ocelaris,
I was reading up about how I need to export more nutrients, but how? Im running a berlin method so the only way that I know I am exporting nutrients is through water changes and my skimmer.

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for replying Ocelaris,
I was reading up about how I need to export more nutrients, but how? Im running a berlin method so the only way that I know I am exporting nutrients is through water changes and my skimmer.
Chaeto, carbon dosing, zeolite (zeovit) are a few add on methods you can use. Pretty much everyone uses the Berlin method, and now a days add something else on to help bring nutrients down. It can be as simple as daily dosing vinegar (a carbon source), running a carbon pellets in a reactor, or growing chaeto in a section of your sump. These methods help the Berlin method and don't interfere with its function.

OP
OP
ThatFishGuy

ThatFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/algae-abatement-plan.349700/#post-4354088

Problem solved using that method. 100% of all accessible tanks can be made algae free by Friday.

Post a pic of your system
I just read your thread on the peroxide method brandon. I guess there is something that i dont get or what but i dont quite understand what to do? I got that i am not supposed to just dump peroxide into the tank, but take out each rock and scrub it clean, pour peroxide on it, rinse in saltwater and then put back into the tank? And i will post pictures when i get home from work.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pretty much yes

and I know that's a lot of type someone hits 96 wpm and doesn't stop heh (high school typing teacher would be prd)

but for your tank we're condensing all that action into just a test rock, for starters, so that we're moderated on approach. It will work 100%.

Just do one tiny test rock as we've planned, and set it back in the tank see how shiny it looks in a few days (no growback) and then see if we want to upscale that to the rest of the tank.
this knifing and peroxide method outside the tank allows you to rinse off algae in the sink, not the tank, and it allows you to work around corals and not apply peroxide to non targets like fish. its a takedown cleaning of the tank

also, the sandbed. no oil change shop does a good job if they don't change your filter too, and we don't do a good job beating GHA in tanks that have a sandbed that would cloud up the whole tank if we reached in and grabbed/dropped sand.

there's a large chance we need to rework your sandbed too, if present. it will then be impossible to cloud after we're done, reach in and flip the whole bed upside down and nothing will occur.

Do all the typical anti algae moves, nutrient adjusts, crabs and snails added, only after your sandbed isn't part of the problem and after you have spot killed all your algae. its work heavy, but 100% clean outcome, by fri

a single test rock is a measured, careful observing response and harms nothing and has no risk.

OP
OP
ThatFishGuy

ThatFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pretty much yes

and I know that's a lot of type someone hits 96 wpm and doesn't stop heh (high school typing teacher would be prd)

but for your tank we're condensing all that action into just a test rock, for starters, so that we're moderated on approach. It will work 100%.

Just do one tiny test rock as we've planned, and set it back in the tank see how shiny it looks in a few days (no growback) and then see if we want to upscale that to the rest of the tank.
this knifing and peroxide method outside the tank allows you to rinse off algae in the sink, not the tank, and it allows you to work around corals and not apply peroxide to non targets like fish. its a takedown cleaning of the tank

also, the sandbed. no oil change shop does a good job if they don't change your filter too, and we don't do a good job beating GHA in tanks that have a sandbed that would cloud up the whole tank if we reached in and grabbed/dropped sand.

there's a large chance we need to rework your sandbed too, if present. it will then be impossible to cloud after we're done, reach in and flip the whole bed upside down and nothing will occur.

Do all the typical anti algae moves, nutrient adjusts, crabs and snails added, only after your sandbed isn't part of the problem and after you have spot killed all your algae. its work heavy, but 100% clean outcome, by fri

a single test rock is a measured, careful observing response and harms nothing and has no risk.
So, let me get this correct (so that i dont mess it up), I take out a test rock and scrub it with a toothbrush, pour peroxide on it and rinse it well in fresh saltwater and put it back in the tank. Watch and evaluate the rock, and if no GHA grows back on it (in about 2-3 days?) Then do the rest of the rockwork and while I do the rocks, stir up and flip over the sand bed?

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a sump with your tank, give some consideration of putting together a macro algae reactor. You can either DIY one or buy one. There are Chaeto reactors sold by Skimz and others.... totally turn key, and yes a bit expensive. There are some great mfgrs of Algae Scrubbers... They work great. Or you could find a TLF reactor.... buy some flexible LED tape.... with the proper spectrum and a small pump...add some chaeto.... and let it run. My neighbor has done this and has seen a marked drop in the available nutrients in his system. I also view this as a bit more natural of a solution.

If you can get control of your nutrients, then the Hair Algae will fade away. Of course... you can pull out rock.... soak in peroxide... or you can dose all of the various off the shelf stuff.... but at the end of the day... are you finding a way to control your nutrients... and eliminating that as the source? If not.... then the hair algae is going to keep coming back.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that flip I mention for the sandbed is only after its been cleaned, to show how clean it was. this is the sand rinse thread. all free info comes in bulk lol:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/t...ead-aka-one-against-many.230281/#post-2681445

that was only an illustration to show that before your sandbed is clean, its a huge contributor to your GHA issue ( post tank pics if poss ) and that you cant disturb it now without causing a huge cloudy mess, that's the algae feed.

our sandbed rinse makes sandbeds this clean, so they're harmless:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all we are doing initially is evaluating one test rock then pondering actions for the next few days based on it. your sand might indeed be fine, but mostly they're in need of cleaning if it has any age.

OP
OP
ThatFishGuy

ThatFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a sump with your tank, give some consideration of putting together a macro algae reactor. You can either DIY one or buy one. There are Chaeto reactors sold by Skimz and others.... totally turn key, and yes a bit expensive. There are some great mfgrs of Algae Scrubbers... They work great. Or you could find a TLF reactor.... buy some flexible LED tape.... with the proper spectrum and a small pump...add some chaeto.... and let it run. My neighbor has done this and has seen a marked drop in the available nutrients in his system. I also view this as a bit more natural of a solution.

If you can get control of your nutrients, then the Hair Algae will fade away. Of course... you can pull out rock.... soak in peroxide... or you can dose all of the various off the shelf stuff.... but at the end of the day... are you finding a way to control your nutrients... and eliminating that as the source? If not.... then the hair algae is going to keep coming back.
I have considered a macro algae reactor but i dont have any room in my sump for one. Its a 10 gallon sump with a protein skimmer chamber, eggcrate shelves for a filter pad, media and carbon and then a return section.

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thar peroxide method is really great. I have tried myself and it's a good fix. You will have your tank clean by Friday (saturday at this point). BUT IMHO that's a temporary fix. You will have GHA back in your tank in few weeks to months. The problem here is nutrient export. How are you managing all nutrients? @dansreef made some really good point. I would look into ATS, or a chaeto reactor. I am trying to reach an equilibrium in my tank where my nutrient export is equal to nutrient created, so far I am struggling, but I think I am done relying on meds and quick fixes.

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have considered a macro algae reactor but i dont have any room in my sump for one. Its a 10 gallon sump with a protein skimmer chamber, eggcrate shelves for a filter pad, media and carbon and then a return section.

My neighbor built his as an external to the sump rector.... basically it is a two little fishes reactor that has an MJ pump on it. He then bought some LED tape with a red spectrum. You can then hang it on the outside of the sump.... Look around... I think he got some info from somewhere here on R2R. If I see it I can post it as well.

The trick really is getting some way to export your nutrients. You said your LFS said your water tests perfect. Not sure what that means. Phosphates <.04 Nitrates between 1-3 would be considered perfect for my tank.... in my situation. If you have GHA growing like crazy.... you have an issue. Perhaps your rock is leaching... then I would just manually pull it. Removing rock and dumping it into a peroxide bath will kill any beneficial fauna and bacteria as well. Doing too much of it too quickly will kill off your denitrifying capability....essentially making things potentially worse long term.

A macro algae reactor or scrubber works great. IT will not rid you of GHA overnight. IT will require you to manually remove it until the nutrients are no longer present to support it. Then it will waste away ...

OP
OP
ThatFishGuy

ThatFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My neighbor built his as an external to the sump rector.... basically it is a two little fishes reactor that has an MJ pump on it. He then bought some LED tape with a red spectrum. You can then hang it on the outside of the sump.... Look around... I think he got some info from somewhere here on R2R. If I see it I can post it as well.

The trick really is getting some way to export your nutrients. You said your LFS said your water tests perfect. Not sure what that means. Phosphates <.04 Nitrates between 1-3 would be considered perfect for my tank.... in my situation. If you have GHA growing like crazy.... you have an issue. Perhaps your rock is leaching... then I would just manually pull it. Removing rock and dumping it into a peroxide bath will kill any beneficial fauna and bacteria as well. Doing too much of it too quickly will kill off your denitrifying capability....essentially making things potentially worse long term.

A macro algae reactor or scrubber works great. IT will not rid you of GHA overnight. IT will require you to manually remove it until the nutrients are no longer present to support it. Then it will waste away ...
When I got my water tested by my LFS and by myself, my ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are zero. I did consider that my rock would be leaching but wouldnt the GHA of formed sooner? I did dry rock the was previously in a reef tank.

OP
OP
ThatFishGuy

ThatFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thar peroxide method is really great. I have tried myself and it's a good fix. You will have your tank clean by Friday (saturday at this point). BUT IMHO that's a temporary fix. You will have GHA back in your tank in few weeks to months. The problem here is nutrient export. How are you managing all nutrients? @dansreef made some really good point. I would look into ATS, or a chaeto reactor. I am trying to reach an equilibrium in my tank where my nutrient export is equal to nutrient created, so far I am struggling, but I think I am done relying on meds and quick fixes.
I wouldnt exactly say that I "manage" my nutrients. I guess I would be managing them by doing water changes and through my skimmer.

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got my water tested by my LFS and by myself, my ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are zero. I did consider that my rock would be leaching but wouldnt the GHA of formed sooner? I did dry rock the was previously in a reef tank.

The key nutrient for GHA is Phosphates. What did they test at?

Yes.... some people blame their GHA on phosphates leaching from the rock. I didn't say that would be the case with you. I have had on other tanks real bad cases of GHA... I did all sorts of things to solve. I assumed...but had no proof that the rock did leach. Over time that stopped. The key was bringing Phosphates <.03 and having an means to export phosphates. The Skimmer will help rid the solid waste... GFO can help reduce Phosphates.... but can be expensive and if not replaced regularly when fully used.. can leach back into your system. I ran bio pellets...they have their issues.... You can even try lanthanum chloride (sp?).... that can help reduce phosphates. But IMO.... an macro algae reactor or a algae scrubber.... will do the trick. You will need to harvest the algae periodically. That is then your nutrient export. The bonus....if you will to these... they will also be micro fauna hatcheries... pods galore....which are great natural food for your fish....

OP
OP
ThatFishGuy

ThatFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The key nutrient for GHA is Phosphates. What did they test at?

Yes.... some people blame their GHA on phosphates leaching from the rock. I didn't say that would be the case with you. I have had on other tanks real bad cases of GHA... I did all sorts of things to solve. I assumed...but had no proof that the rock did leach. Over time that stopped. The key was bringing Phosphates <.03 and having an means to export phosphates. The Skimmer will help rid the solid waste... GFO can help reduce Phosphates.... but can be expensive and if not replaced regularly when fully used.. can leach back into your system. I ran bio pellets...they have their issues.... You can even try lanthanum chloride (sp?).... that can help reduce phosphates. But IMO.... an macro algae reactor or a algae scrubber.... will do the trick. You will need to harvest the algae periodically. That is then your nutrient export. The bonus....if you will to these... they will also be micro fauna hatcheries... pods galore....which are great natural food for your fish....
My phosphates tested at zero. With a macro algae reactor, i put a ball of chaeto in it right? I have never actually used one before but i did read and see videos about the santa monica algae scrubbers and heard that they work terrific.

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water born phosphates tested at zero? Ok. GHA is feeding off of something. My guess is it is gobbling them up as quick as they can. The source.... either from the rock or from feeding... or both... once it goes away.... the GHA will waste away. If you remove all of the GHA now.... I bet in short order your phosphate will test out much higher.... Essentially.... your tank is acting as an algae scrubber.... LOL!

The trick would be to take it from your tank to a reactor away from your tank. Reactors work really good because the light is on typically 24x7. Since algae loves phosphates and light.... It will grow faster in a reactor and out compete the algae in your tank.

For smaller tanks... I think the Santa Monica scrubbers work fine. Again... if you have the room in your sump.... great. I used one on a tank.... I had some success... These Algae Scrubbers like from 302 Aquatics and Clear Water Aquatics.... I have a 302... work great. The Chaeto Reactors work great.... It is up to you on what you are willing to a) spend, give up in sump real estate, c) noise. The Santa Monica I used was pretty loud. My 302 isn't much better.... but that is because I run a ton of water through it. I think the Chaeto Reactors are nearly silent.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back