Hair algae, dino or diatoms?

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is growing in my 10g nano. It looks like diatoms to me but I'm not quite sure. The nitrates are at 10ppm which leads me to beleive they are diatoms and not dino. I'm not quite sure. I can also invest in a micro scope if need be. I'm also thinking possible hair algae but this is the only location of it

20190821_174420.jpg 20190821_174909.jpg

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are phosphates at 0 too? Usually need both with strong lights on a long duration. If they get stringy or snot like in appearance then, yes. You can dose nitrates and phosphates to raise them if you're worried. That combined with manual removal over time is the best way to stop the bloom.

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are phosphates at 0 too? Usually need both with strong lights on a long duration. If they get stringy or snot like in appearance then, yes. You can dose nitrates and phosphates to raise them if you're worried. That combined with manual removal over time is the best way to stop the bloom.
Under the sand is a thick slime substance so I'm thinking dino then. I'll check po4 tonight. I'll turn off my skimmer to let nutrience rise. I'm using a tiny air stone skimmer and it must be doing too good of a job

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think you need more than even the best skimmer to take out all the nutrients. I got a dino bloom from running way too much Phosban and running 20K LEDs for 12+ hours. Dinos tend to be worse in the brighter spots and don't really go in the shaded sections.

What lights do you have and what test kits are you using?

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think you need more than even the best skimmer to take out all the nutrients. I got a dino bloom from running way too much Phosban and running 20K LEDs for 12+ hours. Dinos tend to be worse in the brighter spots and don't really go in the shaded sections.

What lights do you have and what test kits are you using?
I'm using a 150 watt chinese black box at about 40% blue 10% white. And I'm using api kit

Bryson.bobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try bringing up your nitrates and it SHOULD start going away. It’s probably caused by the imbalance of no3/po4. And yes, the low flow is allowing it to grow in some spots.

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try bringing up your nitrates and it SHOULD start going away. It’s probably caused by the imbalance of no3/po4. And yes, the low flow is allowing it to grow in some spots.
I'll unplug the protein skimmer. I didn't think this tiny little skimmer could clean the water so well lol. This is a crazy question but should I add some skimmate back into the tank to raise nitrates or is that not safe

Bryson.bobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll unplug the protein skimmer. I didn't think this tiny little skimmer could clean the water so well lol. This is a crazy question but should I add some skimmate back into the tank to raise nitrates or is that not safe
Yeah, you can dump it back in. I would actually recommend to keep the skimmer on without the cup for aeration

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, you can dump it back in. I would actually recommend to keep the skimmer on without the cup for aeration
I can just leave the air stone in the water :)
Also do you know of any powerhead for a 10g that are nice and small and are under $60? I upgraded my return pump but it's still not kicking around as much water as I like

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the aqueon 500 powerhead and I feel it might be too strong. It's not in the tank it's just moreso the fear of it being too much

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back