Hair algae growing on pump section in sump

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
I think I may have a hair algae problem on the pump side of my sump. What is the best way to get rid of it?

E1357D44-BD4B-4E79-A030-3259237DCB66.jpeg

AnemoneFan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon dosing And GFO. Do you have coral in your tank? Is it in your display or only that one part?

jt8791

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A hungry pincushion urchin would take care of that I’m sure but I’m also an urchin fan and not a fan of chemicals.

OP
OP
IE Reefer

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon dosing And GFO. Do you have coral in your tank? Is it in your display or only that one part?
I run Marineland carbon, is that what you mean? I do have coral in my DT. I’ve seen some like that in the DT and attempted to remove it.

OP
OP
IE Reefer

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A hungry pincushion urchin would take care of that I’m sure but I’m also an urchin fan and not a fan of chemicals.
I think it would be pretty neat to get a urchin, do you think a tuxedo will have the same affect? I don’t want the pincushion to knock over corals/rock.

jt8791

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure how much hair algae tuxedos eat, I read they didn’t eat it. I started with a red tuxedo and didn’t notice it eating gha. Short spine pincushion might not be as bad, I ended up getting a plain white and a purple

DNKReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
I think I may have a hair algae problem on the pump side of my sump. What is the best way to get rid of it?

E1357D44-BD4B-4E79-A030-3259237DCB66.jpeg Hair algae grows primarily as a response to higher levels of iron, I would send out your water for a full panel test, check any metals contained within tank for corrosion, check your source water etc etc.

AnemoneFan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m referring to vodka and vinegar dosing. You have to read a lot into it and do it slowly. It’s basically nopox by red sea or just use nopox

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back