OP
OP
ReefJake123

ReefJake123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My water comes from a perfect filtered RO water from our well I feed every couple of days I use my Red Sea kit for testing

OP
OP
ReefJake123

ReefJake123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Image1521942946.720768.jpg

Image1521942986.314495.jpg

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. I swear I thought the exact thing. .
Like t hat scene from crocodile Dundee “ Call that an (knife) algae out break? I’ll show you an algae outside break!”
I have so much hair algae the hermits comb it and y’all smack about the clownfish. And the hermits have it all over their shells lol.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
definitely relax since your algae isnt hurting anything – it's healthy for the tank, you just happen to not like it. fair, but no reason for worry :)

try this: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/algae-cure-spot-treating-algae-with-peroxide.359887/

Also make sure your sand and rock are clean by blasting them with a powerhead. If the sand turns out to be dirty at all, definitely run a gravel vac on it at minimum (or similar). You might consider going bare bottom and improving flow in that case as well. Sand is cheap – keep that in mind. ;)

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like others have said I have had way worse algae in tanks in the past. One reason your test kits show no nitrate or phosphate is the algae is using it. On a small tank water changes may be the easiest way to eliminate N&P.
What do you have for filtration? Mechanical Filtration like canister filter, filter floss or socks can contribute to GHA if not maintained at least weekly. Twice a week is even better.
Hydrogen peroxide as mentioned works well to kill it as do other things. They will not usually keep it from coming back without eliminating the cause.
The algae is good for your tank in that it is removing nutrients from the water. ATS have become popular because they take advantage of the algae by growing it in condition more suited for algae and easier for us to export outside of the display.

OP
OP
ReefJake123

ReefJake123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Image1521998903.849929.jpg

Sorry I didn’t respond earlier but I was busy anyways I use a phosphate nitrite and nitrate remover pads and they work great I also use chemi pure so how does this peroxide work does it harm fish/corals it has to be Reef safe methods and you guys don’t even know the half of my algae problem if you saw it a couple of months ago you would say I need to restart my tab it was covering ever last bit of my sand/rocks it was horrible

OP
OP
ReefJake123

ReefJake123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
definitely relax since your algae isnt hurting anything – it's healthy for the tank, you just happen to not like it. fair, but no reason for worry :)

try this: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/algae-cure-spot-treating-algae-with-peroxide.359887/

Also make sure your sand and rock are clean by blasting them with a powerhead. If the sand turns out to be dirty at all, definitely run a gravel vac on it at minimum (or similar). You might consider going bare bottom and improving flow in that case as well. Sand is cheap – keep that in mind. ;)

And my algae has killed 5 of my favorite corals [emoji20][emoji20][emoji20]

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if your nitrates and phos are really 0 then do a few things.
1. bump up your magnesium levels to 1800
2. kill the lights for 3 days
3. 4th day when you turn the lights on keep them on for 1/3rd the time you usually do and at lot less intensities (if controllable)
4. feed less

Tanglover11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently use this which doesn’t work for crap

Image1521999150.720636.jpg

Use fluconazole it works extremely well, kills Green Hair algae And also bryopsis , without affecting corals and fish. It is marketed as Reeflux. I had a bad case of hair algae. My Phosphates were low, nitrates were low. I have a tank loaded with SPS and it killed all of the hair algae within two weeks.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back