Hair algae I’ve tried everything!!!!

ReefSlice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A single DI filter is probably not enough filtration, and the fact that you have natural magnesium in your water pretty much proves that. Save up for a 5 stage DI and test your well water for co2, and I guarantee your problems go away, and your tank will run much better.

OP
OP
ReefJake123

ReefJake123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh trust me I have tested all of my water we let that magnesium in specially for our tanks

OP
OP
ReefJake123

ReefJake123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Image1522078463.283549.jpg

That’s the other half of our water filtration

OP
OP
ReefJake123

ReefJake123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a super easy fix. I have collected many after shots of fixing that

All we do is part clean the tank and put it back using skip cycle cleaning. The sandbed will no longer cloud if disturbed

Your coralline and coral anem quality indicate no param issues, this invasion isn't param related. You are merely lacking the ideal grazers to prevent light growth, which a reef should have, but that doesn't mean to go adding grazers

We fixed a hundred of those. Let me know when ready 101

What do you mean though?

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae Cure!! Spot Treating Algae With Peroxide
  1. Fill a small syringe with 1-2 mL of regular hydrogen peroxide
  2. Shut off all flow and wait for the water to become totally still
  3. Treat a patch of algae at it's base – 1-2 square inches in size
  4. Wait a few minutes and and turn the systems's flow back on
  5. That patch will be toast

Read the rest of the post too....and the thread for that matter. :) It's not long and there're some other good ideas.

Definitely should be no need for a reboot.....

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I mentioned is pretty close to the peroxide method. Here is the pic of the product. Do not use too much at a time, or it will affect ph temporarily.

upload_2018-3-26_12-1-25.png

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought of adding a small algae eating blenny like a tail spot. Or adding another emerald crab. The amount of hair algae I see in your tank should be easily managed with a small cleanup crew. As your nutrient absorbing bioload increases (corals and corraline) you will get less and less green algae as they compete for space and food

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the best method for you here is to pick one method, and not blend it with any other. run the method fully until it works or not, then choose another. I would specifically not do anything that touches your coral in this minor challenge tank, since coral growth isn't the issue. You would simply lift up the rocks, and kill the algae directly. if the sand is cloudy, per that thread we'd like to fix that too as fuel.

my method resets your tank nutrient issues, if any, and doesn't touch corals in the process. its algae specific, since your tank is small.

no param, lighting issue, or anything bad happened here, your algae growth indicates success not fail due to its levels and natural controls in place. that sand rinse thread shows how to take apart nanos and set them up without a cycle, clean as a whistle. adding anything to your water affects the whole tank, the nontargets, and that's not ideal based on your before pics. all you do is fix kill the algae and keep experimenting with grazers to do it for you eventually, everything is in your favor so far based on pics.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReefJake123

ReefJake123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I mentioned is pretty close to the peroxide method. Here is the pic of the product. Do not use too much at a time, or it will affect ph temporarily.

upload_2018-3-26_12-1-25.png

Ok I’ll look into it how much does it cost?

OP
OP
ReefJake123

ReefJake123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought of adding a small algae eating blenny like a tail spot. Or adding another emerald crab. The amount of hair algae I see in your tank should be easily managed with a small cleanup crew. As your nutrient absorbing bioload increases (corals and corraline) you will get less and less green algae as they compete for space and food

Been there done that I have a giant clean up crew I’ve added an algae blenny and a tail spot not at the same time of course but they literally sat there and did nothing

OP
OP
ReefJake123

ReefJake123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the best method for you here is to pick one method, and not blend it with any other. run the method fully until it works or not, then choose another. I would specifically not do anything that touches your coral in this minor challenge tank, since coral growth isn't the issue. You would simply lift up the rocks, and kill the algae directly. if the sand is cloudy, per that thread we'd like to fix that too as fuel.

my method resets your tank nutrient issues, if any, and doesn't touch corals in the process. its algae specific, since your tank is small.

no param, lighting issue, or anything bad happened here, your algae growth indicates success not fail due to its levels and natural controls in place. that sand rinse thread shows how to take apart nanos and set them up without a cycle, clean as a whistle. adding anything to your water affects the whole tank, the nontargets, and that's not ideal based on your before pics.

Ok I get that by how do I do it your thread didn’t make sense I didn’t know what to do explain please

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine will not blend well with the other methods. The fluconazole above is one way, dosing peroxide to the water is another way, mines different. I would not combine my method with the others, it has to be ran first if so. if you want to do my method we covered above its to take apart your reef as the thread shows, put back cloudless sand, and kill algae on the rocks while its taken apart. that method removes algae fuel from your system, the other methods leave the fuel in place for future battles. let me know if you want to run the total clean system, if not, then a water doser is your next option.

if we start our option no other method can be blended with it. read in good detail the sand rinse thread linked above to see if you want that method, its work heavy while the other methods are quite easy. the majority of tank invasions will not opt to rid the fuel, too much work.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReefJake123

ReefJake123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine will not blend well with the other methods. The fluconazole above is one way, dosing peroxide to the water is another way, mines different. I would not combine my method with the others, it has to be ran first if so. if you want to do my method we covered above its to take apart your reef as the thread shows, put back cloudless sand, and kill algae on the rocks while its taken apart. that method removes algae fuel from your system, the other methods leave the fuel in place for future battles. let me know if you want to run the total clean system, if not, then a water doser is your next option.

if we start our option no other method can be blended with it. read in good detail the sand rinse thread linked above to see if you want that method, its work heavy while the other methods are quite easy. the majority of tank invasions will not opt to rid the fuel, too much work.

Ok I’ll see

nhlives

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All three ammonia nitrites and phosphates are 0

What are you using for a PO4 test? I use the Hanna ULR and once my PO4 was under .1 ppm, no algae. But you got to get it low and once there you can have a little higher nitrates. At least in my limited experience, phosphates trump (no pun here) nitrates. Randy recommends .02 ppm. You do not want zero.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back