I use the Red Sea master testing kit and it still reads zero

nhlives

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Red Sea master testing kit and it still reads zero

It isn't sensitive enough. I have both the Red Sea and Hanna ULR. Red Sea is zero and Hanna is .06. I now only use Red Sea for CA and Hanna for ALK and PO4.

The Hanna ULR phosphate tester is a bit tricky to master but once there it gives great results. Ping me and I'll give you my experience if you go that route and are interested.

nhlives

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will definitely ping u
No problem. My trip to .06ppm took 6 months using a combination of nopox and premium BRS GFO. I changed the GFO every three weeks. At about six months I stopped using GFO and now the nopox can handle the job. Not necessarily recommending nopox but it does work...too well as I now have to dose nitrates to keep them above zero. Each situation may require a different solution but for me and my 60 cube and limited cabinet space nopox has worked well.

OP
OP
ReefJake123

ReefJake123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently just got rid of my protein skimmer because it literally was doing nothing besides making noise and looking ugly so what do you think I should do for that empty space more sponge?

nhlives

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would need a skimmer to do carbon in dosing. If I had the space I would use cheato. I'm still intrigued with newer and high-end cheato reactors but for now stability is the answer as things are pretty good.

There are phosphate binders that would get you there quicker but I have no experience with them. Therefore, I will leave you what I know. Lower your phosphate to .02ppm but not zero.

OP
OP
ReefJake123

ReefJake123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so what is cheato I keep hearing about this but I don’t know what it is or what it does

nhlives

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

it's a bit more complicated than that. BRSTV has some help but you need a pretty good sized area in your sump and a good light. Most people underestimate how much you need to be successful. There are dosing requirements but also other bennies to be had. There are reactors you can buy or DIY. Size and lighting is important.

Do your homework.

OP
OP
ReefJake123

ReefJake123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you think I haven’t done my homework on algae you are high not to be rude but I’ve been studying this forever

nhlives

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't sound like you where familar with Chaetomorpha. No disrespect meant.

OP
OP
ReefJake123

ReefJake123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never really got into chaeto I wanted to but I didn’t end up studying it

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's a bit more complicated than that. BRSTV has some help but you need a pretty good sized area in your sump and a good light. Most people underestimate how much you need to be successful. There are dosing requirements but also other bennies to be had. There are reactors you can buy or DIY. Size and lighting is important.

Do your homework.

Didn't sound like you where familar with Chaetomorpha. No disrespect meant.

It was meant to be a simple explanation, not exactly what is needed to use it to combat nutrient issues. I'm very familiar with it.

It wasn't disrespectful until you added "do your homework".

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh trust me I have tested all of my water we let that magnesium in specially for our tanks
If your filter is letting magnesium in who knows what else it is letting in. There is no way I ever heard of the filter out everything but magnesium. Is the TDS of your water zero as it should be? Clearly it is not if it has magnesium in it!

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont understand the point of OP on this forum when everything that has been thrown out there has been rejected by OP. i personally am going to focus on forum that really need help. Good luck to OP i hope you get it together.

OP
OP
ReefJake123

ReefJake123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont understand the point of OP on this forum when everything that has been thrown out there has been rejected by OP. i personally am going to focus on forum that really need help. Good luck to OP i hope you get it together.

It’s not my fault like I said I’ve tried everything and I haven’t rejected everything I am trying the hydrogen peroxide in my 13.5 and I’m using the yeast for my 55

OP
OP
ReefJake123

ReefJake123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And if those don’t work I’m moving on to two other methods on this forum so thanks for your comment but I am deeply considering everything in this forum I went through my water filtration agin last night and like I said everything checks out I stop letting magnesium in to see if it helps

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back