Hair Algae in FOWLR

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I inherited a tank with some mild, but nuisance hair algae in it. I have pulled all the corals out, and just have a couple anemones left to remove.

Once it is technically a FOWLR tank, I would like to run a course of chloroquine phosphate, as it is a strong herbicide. Once the algae is dead, I am going to ditch all the water and move the fish and rocks to another tank...

Has anyone done this before?

Any idea what affect it will have on the rock long or short term? (i.e. I would hope to re-use the rock once it is algae free; very likely in a reef tank)

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try algae fix first, it's reef safe basically, and has done wonders for my hard to eradicate algaes. Be warned that any fix just makes room for the harder to kill algaes, so be ready for long term nutrient control.

OP
OP
sbash

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try algae fix first, it's reef safe basically, and has done wonders for my hard to eradicate algaes. Be warned that any fix just makes room for the harder to kill algaes, so be ready for long term nutrient control.

Yeah, nutrient control is a given for a successful reef... No worries there... This is a pretty specific situation and I have CP on hand, so I am going to go ahead with it, lol... I am not looking for alternate options, I am looking to see if others have done this before :)

My guess is that CP is so new of a concept for the hobby, so we do not really know what will happen in this case. In one of my QT threads, it was theorized (an unknown amount of) the CP would be absorbed by the rocks. If that is the case, in a reef system, the rocks would then eventually release the CP back into the water... That said, the treatment is 21 days, so perhaps it becomes inert after that; which makes any concerns moot...

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 44 57.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.9%
Back