Hair algae in Zoa colony

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any ideas on how to deal with this?
IMG_20230126_160917680.jpg
Got hair algae growing in a zoa/paly (not sure what exactly which are) colony. It's about half the colony, so I guess I could remove the affected half, but I'd rather not. Been treating with 1.5 ml H2O2, but it's not having any effect.

Thanks
Scott

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easiest to do underwater while the algae is suspended, start pulling it off with some tweezers or your fingers in a pinching motion.
After the bulk if its gone and only a little remains, you can use a soft toothbrush and scrub the rest off the zoas body and whats on the plug.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saltyreef's suggestion is the best, but if the algae is stubborn, You can dunk it in a hydrogen peroxide bath to kill the algae, google for more info, there is lots of info online.

I use 50/50 salt water and peroxide, dunk it for 3-4 minutes. The zoa will be unhappy and will take a couple of weeks to open up again, but the algae will die in the peroxide. Then rinse in saltwater and back into the tank.

I've only done this with zoa's only, and it works, I've not tried and would not suggest this for any other coral

OP
OP
ScottJ

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saltyreef's suggestion is the best, but if the algae is stubborn, You can dunk it in a hydrogen peroxide bath to kill the algae, google for more info, there is lots of info online.

I use 50/50 salt water and peroxide, dunk it for 3-4 minutes. The zoa will be unhappy and will take a couple of weeks to open up again, but the algae will die in the peroxide. Then rinse in saltwater and back into the tank.

I've only done this with zoa's only, and it works, I've not tried and would not suggest this for any other coral
Yup, I'm going to look into that.

Back