Hair Algae on Frag Rack / Zoa's - Hydro dip procedure and Clean up crew

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.

I recently have been getting a hair algae outbreak on a particular frag rack full of Zoa's. I have tried a Hydro Peroxide Dip and maybe am not using the correct ratio or time. I was wondering how others of you dip your corals in Hydrogen Peroxide including ratio and time. Also, what CUC can I add to eat the hair algae?

Also, I have dosing this tank for about 6 weeks with Vibrant. Not sure if that is causing the hair algae, but thought I would mention it.

I also added some GFO in the water column to try and help along with weekly water changes.

Lastly...my setup for this tank is a 30GL AIO.

Any suggestions is much appreciated.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.

I recently have been getting a hair algae outbreak on a particular frag rack full of Zoa's. I have tried a Hydro Peroxide Dip and maybe am not using the correct ratio or time. I was wondering how others of you dip your corals in Hydrogen Peroxide including ratio and time. Also, what CUC can I add to eat the hair algae?

Also, I have dosing this tank for about 6 weeks with Vibrant. Not sure if that is causing the hair algae, but thought I would mention it.

I also added some GFO in the water column to try and help along with weekly water changes.

Lastly...my setup for this tank is a 30GL AIO.

Any suggestions is much appreciated.

IMO, Green Hair Algae is toughest algae out there - took almost 3 months before Vibrant weekly dosing impacted it - all other algaes including my macroalges in sump died first.... Just keep going. The other algaes dying without removal releases nitrates and phosphates which remaining algaes use as fuel... last algae standing will be green hair algae, so keep going... Ideally, get in there and scrub with a siphon. Initially will spread more, but *IF* you can scrub outside of tank better (we couldn't).

FYI your nitrate and phosphate numbers aren't as low as you think, because the algae is consuming... you'll eventually get to other side. We're almost there! I keep telling myself, I'm tougher and smarter than green hair algae (giggle)

NATURAL PREDATORS:
Green hair algae has very little natural predators

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back