Hair algae on Zoa' Frags

Dcole12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I am looking to see what I should do. I have a couple of my Zoa Frags that has hair algae on the frag. It is starting to grow in between the Zoa's anyone have anything that can really help to get the hair algae off the frag, but won't damage the coral? Thanks in advance.

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could get a old toothbrush or smth and brush it off gently, as not to damage the zoas themselves. Thats what i do, it works well but itll most likely grow back

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Hydrogen peroxide dip :). 1:1 ratio H202:tank water and leave for 1 minute. Kills the hair algae. You can also take a q tip soaked in H2O2 and spot treat. After you kill the algae, the zoas will grow over it and smother it out so you won’t have problems in the future

OP
OP
Dcole12

Dcole12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Hydrogen peroxide dip :). 1:1 ratio H202:tank water and leave for 1 minute. Kills the hair algae. You can also take a q tip soaked in H2O2 and spot treat. After you kill the algae, the zoas will grow over it and smother it out so you won’t have problems in the future

I think I might give this a shot.. Just bought the WB 20 cube.. and it comes in tomorrow.. Going to cycle the tank and don't want to bring any of that stuff along with it! Bought brand new rock sand.. brand new system..

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest taking the frag out,letting the polyp(s) close taking a dropper and dropping peroxide on the area where the algae is. Then placing the zoa's in a tank water bath,then placing it back in the tank. Or doing a 1:1 bath like mentioned for maybe 1-2 minutes. The zoa will then create what looks like a thick clear coating and bubble from the peroxide then its time to remove them. It may take a day or 2 for them to open doing it this way.

I'm currently going thru this same problem except it exploded in growth and now its everywhere lol. That's what happens when you aren't home for a month at a time though.. and then I am home for 2-3 days then on the road again.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back