Hair algae out of control, have new ICP results

Cantari22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I have a 75 gallon tank which has been up for about 2 years now, ~100 pounds of live rock with various corals and fish.

I've been fighting hair algae the past few months now and it is driving me bonkers. I recently submitted an ICP test and everything seems great. Had a few minor things low (like strontium and potassium (which I dosed to fix)), but other than that, things look good.

I know there are a ton of threads and posts on fighting hair algae, but figured since I had newly acquired ICP results, I could check something specific which could be driving that?

Been considering adding a pincushion urchin to help. I do have a lawnmow blenny and a Tomini Tang, but they don't seem to touch it.

During water changes I have been trying to pinch it off and sucking it out, but it just grows back so quickly. Starting to worry about it blocking light for some corals.

Appreciate any help.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I have a 75 gallon tank which has been up for about 2 years now, ~100 pounds of live rock with various corals and fish.

I've been fighting hair algae the past few months now and it is driving me bonkers. I recently submitted an ICP test and everything seems great. Had a few minor things low (like strontium and potassium (which I dosed to fix)), but other than that, things look good.

I know there are a ton of threads and posts on fighting hair algae, but figured since I had newly acquired ICP results, I could check something specific which could be driving that?

Been considering adding a pincushion urchin to help. I do have a lawnmow blenny and a Tomini Tang, but they don't seem to touch it.

During water changes I have been trying to pinch it off and sucking it out, but it just grows back so quickly. Starting to worry about it blocking light for some corals.

Appreciate any help.
What are your current parameters and do you have a link or pics from the icp?

OP
OP
C

Cantari22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try getting about 50+ snails in there. It is amazing how much work snails will do. Also, do you have any Tangs?
Hey thanks. Yeah I did recently get a package from reefcleaners and 5 turbos locally, but hasn't made a dent. Was thinking of getting more turbos or trochus. Any recommendations on specific types?

I do have a Tomini Tang but he doesn't ever seem to eat it.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

Appreciate any help.
Have you changed lighting intensity or is daylight sun hitting aquarium (unsure where you from but I'm in UK and sun has been hitting my aquriam alot recently)
I think it needs more manual removal, a snails stomach is proberbly the size of this } • { so will not make a great impact.
If it won't affect anything else in aquriam maybe lower light intensity for a week or two whilst you get hands on and mow the aquriam:)

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is just right with your parameters this will mean that algae will grow also, your options are to get some herbivores to keep algae under control.
I’d look at a sea hare if the algae too large, speak with your local lfs most will accept them back for credit and increase snails to keep it in check after sea hare is done.

OP
OP
C

Cantari22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you changed lighting intensity or is daylight sun hitting aquarium (unsure where you from but I'm in UK and sun has been hitting my aquriam alot recently)
I think it needs more manual removal, a snails stomach is proberbly the size of this } • { so will not make a great impact.
If it won't affect anything else in aquriam maybe lower light intensity for a week or two whilst you get hands on and mow the aquriam:)
I haven't changed lighting intensity at all recently. It maybe getting a tad more sun through the nearby front window but I usually have the sun blocker shade up to avoid that. Yah I may try that, appreciate it.

OP
OP
C

Cantari22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is just right with your parameters this will mean that algae will grow also, your options are to get some herbivores to keep algae under control.
I’d look at a sea hare if the algae too large, speak with your local lfs most will accept them back for credit and increase snails to keep it in check after sea hare is done.
Appreciate that, will talk with them more.

paintman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It amazes me how many people will come in and tell you to go out and buy a CUC and never once tell you to verify that you do in fact have hair algae. You may very well have lynbya, which looks very much like GHA. Unfortunately CUC's and tangs won't touch it or if they do they will die because it is toxic.

OP
OP
C

Cantari22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It amazes me how many people will come in and tell you to go out and buy a CUC and never once tell you to verify that you do in fact have hair algae. You may very well have lynbya, which looks very much like GHA. Unfortunately CUC's and tangs won't touch it or if they do they will die because it is toxic.
Thanks Paintman, I have been meaning to try that filter test, since I don't have a microscope. The algae did reform so it is likely Dinos then? Pretty sure I have both.

OP
OP
C

Cantari22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures please
0134900C-8BC8-44E4-BBD5-E8064BDFB98C.jpeg

Next to my blenny for scale.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

Appreciate any help.
Algae is a natural part of a reef, and is consuming excess nutrients.

If you have too much algae the fix is to add more stuff that eats it.

Heaps of snails, not 5 or 10, I have 50 in my 75 gal. Do you have a tang or foxface, they eat all day.

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar dark algea overcome my tank months back. nothing would touch it , Foxface , tomini tang, emerald crab, turbo snail, tuxedo urchin ,,,,,,,,, nothing would touch the stuff

Manual removal by hand and I added in a Phosban Reactor to outcompete whatever demon spawn hair algea this was.

Took a few weeks but I tipped the scales in my favour . Im still pulling random clumps sometimes but its under control now

OP
OP
C

Cantari22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar dark algea overcome my tank months back. nothing would touch it , Foxface , tomini tang, emerald crab, turbo snail, tuxedo urchin ,,,,,,,,, nothing would touch the stuff

Manual removal by hand and I added in a Phosban Reactor to outcompete whatever demon spawn hair algea this was.

Took a few weeks but I tipped the scales in my favour . Im still pulling random clumps sometimes but its under control now
Appreciate it. Do you run a UV sterilizer? Was thinking of trying that.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 123 58.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.7%
Back