Hair Algae Removal “Tool”

bryan3536

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to physically remove as much hair algae as I can and let me clean up crew do the rest. Anyone have a tool/trick/“tank hack” for this? Forceps? Scissors? Chainsaw?

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think a tool, tweezers or such would help,.There is no easy way to remove algae from where You don't want it !
Hang in there Friend !

Salty.Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
14667204_Alt02.jpeg

I also have a courser brush from Lowes. I do it while doing a water change. I hold the brush and siphon hose together so it doesn't muck up the water.

OP
OP
B

bryan3536

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you’re saying there is no secret ancient method that will make this go easy? I was thinking trim/pull the big stuff - maybe forceps or scissors - then scrub with a tooth brush.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used electrcal tape, taped a tooth brush to the end of my siphon then went to town :)

OP
OP
B

bryan3536

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went after it tonight. What a pain in the butt. Stuff looks like Medusa from side, thick and like a plant, when you touch it, it disappears, like it has zero mass. My fat fingers had a heck of a time grasping it. Ended up scraping the heck out of rock with a toothbrush and a coarser brush from HD (mostly latter), thought I nailed it, would walk around to side and see giant patches left. ***. Now I see what the big deal is.

zyer1090

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can remove it by hand but if you really want to get rid of it a little acid bath will do the trick or get a grill brush the one with the metal brushes it does a better job than the a normal toothbrush.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back