Hair Algae starting to grow.

TheOneWhoIsThere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is about 2.5 months old. It is 20 gallon, I have a pair of clownfish, a diamond watchman goby, a cleaner shrimp, and various corals. Hair algae is starting to grow. What can I add/do to get rid of it? I know lawnmower blennies eat hair algae, but is my tank too small? Will it get along with the diamond watchman goby?

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of trying to get an animal to eat hair algae, let's try to find the root of the problem. Are you using rodi? What are your parameters? What test kit are you using? You can also manually remove it with a tooth brush. Also the tank being 2.5 months old means it is still pretty new. Perhaps this is just an ugly stage and all you can do is wait it out.

Good luck and Happy Reefing

OP
OP
TheOneWhoIsThere

TheOneWhoIsThere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of trying to get an animal to eat hair algae, let's try to find the root of the problem. Are you using rodi? What are your parameters? What test kit are you using? You can also manually remove it with a tooth brush. Also the tank being 2.5 months old means it is still pretty new. Perhaps this is just an ugly stage and all you can do is wait it out.

Good luck and Happy Reefing
I’ve been using pre-made saltwater, my parameters are fine (Ph is on the lower side but fine) my test kit is the API one.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Food (phosphate and nitrate) and light are the keys to growing healthy hair algae. New tanks often have abundant supplies of these.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s probably being caused by raised nutrient levels, have you tested your nitrate and in particular phosphate levels? Phosphate could well show 0 as it’s being taken up by the algae as food though.

In a tank your size it should be easy to cure by removing excess algae and water changes, but you need to make sure the new saltwater is made from 0 TDS RODI water otherwise you could be reintroducing nutrients every time you do a water change and that will feed the algae

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back