Hair Algae: The Best Way, The MANY Ways, To Get Rid Of It....

What have you found to be the best things/methods to beat hair algae? (choose all that apply)

• Hydrogen peroxide

Votes: 131 16.6%
  • Lawn Mower Blenny (or other fish)

Votes: 169 21.5%
  • Manual Removal

Votes: 363 46.1%
  • Rock Scrubbing

Votes: 164 20.8%
  • Lowered Phosphates

Votes: 175 22.2%
  • Tank Blackouts

Votes: 46 5.8%
  • Urchins

Votes: 152 19.3%
  • Fluconazole

Votes: 90 11.4%
  • Granular Ferric Oxide (GFO)

Votes: 75 9.5%
  • UV Sterilizer

Votes: 72 9.1%
  • Refugium

Votes: 179 22.7%
  • Algae Scrubber

Votes: 63 8.0%
  • Clean Up Crew

Votes: 326 41.4%
  • Lighting Change

Votes: 61 7.8%
  • Sea Hare

Votes: 59 7.5%
  • Vibrant

Votes: 120 15.2%
  • Other (please explain in thread)

Votes: 53 6.7%

• Total voters

Simsung

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my case a number of Spiny Astrea Snail did the job. I had a 24G nano tank so could not really get any fish to do the job.
Since then I set up a refugium and my rock is spotless, I kind of want some hair algae to add the natural look!

D4jack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea hare. My lawnmower blenny eats whatever I feed my fish. He doesn't touch the hair algae. My dolabella munches it day and night. I run a turf scrubber as well.

drblakjak55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove the soil the hairy algae or bryopsis grows on. Scrub the rocks with wire brush than turkey baste the debris out of the cracks every three days. Less and less comes back til gone. Weekly turkey basting for maintenance and scrubbing between polyps. Guaranteed. Turbos and Astreas eat the new growth

sledge760

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue with abbreviations like etc. and so on. I also hate trying to figure out contractions--just write it out!! I also hate acronyms. Just say what you mean! I guess I am a little much OCD on all this though.
What does OCD mean? I don't like trying to figure out acronyms. Say what you mean. Just write it out!!!

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still trying out things. Used manual this never ends. Scrubbing out of the water it worked great but, that was before I had lots of coral. Although saw them do it on a BRS video. Did not think that was possible. In my new tank I blocked the light in the sump except where I am trying to grow Beneficial algae. That worked great. In my other tank. The perfect RO water, and Matrix Biofiltration cubes seem to be working, except now getting this pink stringy stuff. I am sucking that out with my cleaning pump, as it grows slow

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found Tangs are the best at keeping GHA at bay.

But they (at least mine) wouldn't touch GHA that has already grown long. That needs to be manually removed and, at least in my case, I've seen it "melting" away after about two months after installing my algae reactor.

guysmiley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Tangs and Turbos, manual scrubbing and found swearing to be the only reliable measure for reliving the stress of dealing with bad-hair algae. It eventually went away and wire turf algae replaced it. The End.
iv found swearing to be greatly beneficial too ;Joyful

Mathman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wholeheartedly recommend Red Sea NoPox! It worked like a miracle for me with absolutely zero negative effects. If you are frustrated then give it a try

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried a sea hare 3 times and they simply disappear after a few days never to be seen again. I have performed a 3 day blackout twice and currently I am trying Flux RX.

I was thinking about buying a Faceface, will it be ok in a 54 gallon DT?

Also is a Foxface friendly and non aggressive? Currently I have:
2 Gladiator clowns
yellow assessor
6 line wrasse
pajama cardinal
orchid dottyback
filefish
blue green chromis

Reefluencer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The right light makes a big difference. Some algae absorb more light at different wavelengths, so getting the right spectrum for coral growth and not just going with what looks appealing to the eye is important.

I like Kessil and Philips' approach to maintaining the proper spectrum because even when you adjust the appearance of the light to please your eye, the app software automatically adjusts so you stay within the right range.

When your parameters are off, it can cause algae to reproduce. The best remedy I have found is to stay consistent with maintenance and be vigilant about about manually removing the stuff when it pops up.

A good clean up crew helps a lot. Some will die eventually so don't be lazy—replace them!

Alex Cataldo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I did was remove the sand and add a refugium. The algae pretty much just fell of and died over the next month. Though now I am craving having the sand back, it just looks so nice, and of course I love how stable the tank becomes. But since I’m a student, generally I don’t have time to clean out the sand every 2 weeks. But after all of that I am grateful that the algae is gone.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have some settings for the Hydra 26 HD lights to help minimize the algae?
I would go to Bulk Reef Supply on you tube and look for the video. According to them
UV 50%
Violet 50%
Royal Blue 50%
Blue 50%
Green 15%
Red 15Cool White if you have it 50%

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back