Hair algae

Kentech5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it test for total desolved solids.

So basically you use it to test fresh water for purity. You cant use it on salt water because you expect it to have a lot of solids dissolved in it.

Kentech5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got one on the RODI thats truly built in and another plumbed into the line. They usually match. Ive compared them to the handheld and theyve never been more than 1 off each other.

Ill dig it out when the DI resin looks mostly exhausted again.

OP
OP
C

clownvalk3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is RO the only way to get rid of the solids that the TDS is testing for?

AntarcticIkeelu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It helps keep your tank disease free. If you use tap water you risk making coral, fish, and inverts sick. You will have a higher level of phosphates so you will always be battling algae. You will have a constant source of silicates leading to diatom blooms that never go away. The list goes on and on but diatoms, algae, cyano, and potential infections will be your biggest problems.

OP
OP
C

clownvalk3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It helps keep your tank disease free. If you use tap water you risk making coral, fish, and inverts sick. You will have a higher level of phosphates so you will always be battling algae. You will have a constant source of silicates leading to diatom blooms that never go away. The list goes on and on but diatoms, algae, cyano, and potential infections will be your biggest problems.

What are diatoms and cyano?

OP
OP
C

clownvalk3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7ddc4b8b499874182d6233734c024875.jpg
is this ok?

AntarcticIkeelu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
asterina star fish, and yes it's ok. Also, sorry for the late response but diatoms look like rust all over your sand and rocks. They are caused by high silicates which are found in tap water. Cyano is a red slime that grows in areas of low flow when phosphates and nitrates are too high.

teamlounge

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmed this thread so may have missed a few things.
First, stop using tap water. You must use clean water as there are literally hundreds of problems that can arise. If you ever want to keep anything but the basics. You must start with clean water.
Second, absolutely trim back on your whites. Too much light from LED's can actually harm your corals and cause all kinds of bad things.
Third, make sure you have enough flow in the tank. Bad algae tends to appear in low flow areas and spread from there.
Fourth, emerald crabs are one of the few things that do an effective job at eating hair algae. However, they can cause problems with softey corals. Make sure you get females. They are easily distinguishable and your local fish store can probably help out.
Lastly, check your levels often...especially as the tank goes through different cycles.

Mr. Gonzalez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having hair algae problems too. All my parametes were in check flow is good. But I tried to add a cheato reactor. After 3 weeks have a hair algae bloom. Had the cheato reactor running 24/7 I'll take a pic later. Tank has been running for 8 months. I know probably the obvious thing is the reactor. My question would be is how should i run the reactor with lights on, color, and time period.

Mr. Gonzalez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having hair algae problems too. All my parametes were in check flow is good. But I tried to add a cheato reactor. After 3 weeks have a hair algae bloom. Had the cheato reactor running 24/7 I'll take a pic later. Tank has been running for 8 months. I know probably the obvious thing is the reactor. My question would be is how should i run the reactor with lights on, color, and time period.

20170806_135252.jpg

Screenshot_2017-08-06-13-53-44.png

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back