Hair algae!!

PoppyD88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have so much hair algae in my tank, it’s on the glass, it’s on the filter intake stick, and on my live rock. I have invertebrates, a blenny and a Goby but none of them are keeping up with the hair algae. What should i do? I have a 55 gallon tank, nine fish, and I started the tank two months ago. Ammonia and nitrI have so much hair algae in my tank, it’s on the glass, it’s on the filter intake stick, and on my live rock. I have invertebrates, a blenny and a Goby but none of them are keeping up with the hair algae. What should i do?ite levels are at zero. nitrate is at 10ppm.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a 75 gallon we fixed, see her thread from page one, notice the deep cleaning part which is hard work, now the after pics and she can add more fish, it’s cleaned

Veora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a massive amount of hair algae all of a sudden. I went for months with just my live rock and invertebrates and everything was great. I start adding fish and the hair algae explodes everywhere. I’ve tried manual removal and lowering the light intensity. I’ve also decreased amount of feeding. Is there anything else I can do? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a massive amount of hair algae all of a sudden. I went for months with just my live rock and invertebrates and everything was great. I start adding fish and the hair algae explodes everywhere. I’ve tried manual removal and lowering the light intensity. I’ve also decreased amount of feeding. Is there anything else I can do? Any suggestions are appreciated.
Gonna have to power through it....
It will subside eventually. Remove it with your fingers or tweezers.

OP
OP
PoppyD88

PoppyD88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue, everything was fine then I got so much algae, I took a day to finally just pick off all the algae. I got a sea urchin, some snails, and crabs. I think they’ve helped a lot because i no longer have a huge abundance of hair algae. However, now I’m getting this reddish algae

Aquatican

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have so much hair algae in my tank, it’s on the glass, it’s on the filter intake stick, and on my live rock. I have invertebrates, a blenny and a Goby but none of them are keeping up with the hair algae. What should i do? I have a 55 gallon tank, nine fish, and I started the tank two months ago. Ammonia and nitrI have so much hair algae in my tank, it’s on the glass, it’s on the filter intake stick, and on my live rock. I have invertebrates, a blenny and a Goby but none of them are keeping up with the hair algae. What should i do?ite levels are at zero. nitrate is at 10ppm.
As everyone has said, it will take time, patience, and a little elbow grease. Also, as PoppyD88 mentioned, a clean up crew helps. My urchin eats the most in my tank.

What are your phosphates at? You could dose some Phosphate RX as part of your cure. Another thing to do is take rock out and treat it with peroxide and a toothbrush. This helped me a lot. Don't forget to rinse the rock in clean salt water before putting it back in the DT. Also change your filter socks every two days at most.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are astrea snails in cleaning GHA? My tank is full too man at 9 months old. Have tuxedo urchins that chomp on it but I'm looking to add some more snails because even they can't keep up at the moment.

I would stay away from removing rock and doing peroxide treatments as this was my initial question. The old timers and wise reefers said this is only a temporizing procedure and ultimately will reset the whole process as you've effectively wiped out all of your efforts establishing that rock as live.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stay away from removing rock and doing peroxide treatments as this was my initial question. The old timers and wise reefers said this is only a temporizing procedure and ultimately will reset the whole process as you've effectively wiped out all of your efforts establishing that rock as live.
The long term solution is the rock being covered in coraline and corals - and there being no space for hair algae.

Short term temporary fixes are exactly what's needed until that happens. I don't know why people with established reef tanks seem to insist on giving advice that *is relevant only to established reef tanks* to people who don't have established reef tanks. Scrubbing and peroxiding rock isn't going to 'reset' the rock in any sort of meaningful way. Its just going to get rid of lots of hair algae.

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This forum is filled with opposing views and I have one regarding the advice you have received. Whether "established" or not biological balance and nutrient export remain the key to success. Excess algae whether in a new tank or an old tank simply represents a temporary imbalance in nutrients, but regardless step one is to remove the algae. Taking the rocks out and trying to kill the algae with peroxide will also kill the beneficial bacteria you worked so hard to create. Any attempt to manually control the algae will be, in my opinion, a waste of time. In my most recent reset I used some rock from my sump and put it in my display. The rock became covered top to bottom with Hair Algae. MexicanTurbo snails and Blue Leg Hermits cleaned up my rock work in a week. Given time the proper cleaners will mow hair algae down and then you need to simply keep your water quality up and your nutrients low.

Mexican Turbo

My reef in 2017 before the most recent reset:

2017.Zenith.JPG

Last edited:

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And there we have it - the person with the established tank with multiple-year-old liverock expecting a brand new tank to act exactly the same as his.

Hair algae issues in new tanks - especially those with dry rock - aren't about water quality - they're about rock surface, and its lack of colonizers. They're about phosphate bound in rock surface. They're about imbalances and not having significant nitrate/phosphate consumers (like Coral)

You know what's a waste of time? Not doing anything about it - and throwing out your rock at a year and a half because nothing will grow because hair algae has colonized every inch of rock surface, and coraline has no chance.

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did I mention I have a "new" tank in my kitchen that I started in May . . .
Aaa. . . you're probably right. Advice based on "established" tanks can't be worthwhile because that's all I know . . .

img_0686-jpg.1632928

img_6633-jpg.1737236

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea hare is the best algae eater you are gonna get, specially hair algae.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try to get a bunch (like 30) of different snails, tuxedo urchin, emerald crabs, live copepods.
Gotta get in there and remove what you can manually, and try to clean any powerheads and filters at a minimum every 2 days. The algae will subside, but it will take a couple of weeks.
At least this is what I did, my tank looked like a swamp before I started, lol

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And there we have it - the person with the established tank with multiple-year-old liverock expecting a brand new tank to act exactly the same as his.

Hair algae issues in new tanks - especially those with dry rock - aren't about water quality - they're about rock surface, and its lack of colonizers. They're about phosphate bound in rock surface. They're about imbalances and not having significant nitrate/phosphate consumers (like Coral)

You know what's a waste of time? Not doing anything about it - and throwing out your rock at a year and a half because nothing will grow because hair algae has colonized every inch of rock surface, and coraline has no chance.

Obviously, you and I disagree. On more than one issue.

1) Just because I showed pictures of my established reef says nothing about my experience starting new reefs.

2) Trying to say established live rock is somehow different than "new" liverock because new liverock may still be leaching phosphates has zero basis in science or experience. Hair algae grows faster then coraline algae irregardless of the source of nutrients. That is the problem. Algae grazers control the hair algae giving coraline and good bacteria a chance to grow. This happens whether the rock and reef are old, new, established, not established, leaching phosphate, not leaching phosphate - whatever - the process is the same. Keep the surface hair algae free and the good stuff will come. The question is a) how to clean the surface, and b) how to keep it clean. Anecdotal evidence online says manual cleaning is not highly effective as a long term solution. Anecdotal evidence online says a healthy and properly selected clean up crew works to keep live rock free from algae. The evidence does not say "only for established" reefs nor does it say "only for new aquariums". Algae control is an age old reefers conundrum and one that time and again savy reefers have solved with the help of the proper clean up crew.

Does that mean, one shouldn't strive to increase healthy bacteria and remove excess nutrients whatever the source? No, of course not. It just means one must keep the rock clean while doing those things at the same time, and personally I'd rather have a snail or Sea Hare clean the rock rather than wait six months for the phosphate source to go away or worse spend my free time plucking the algae by hand.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quietly laughing at the above salty posts. My recommendation to take advice from the wise old-timers with established systems stands.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try some vibrant, which is algae eating bacteria.
Once the gha is under control, try a bottle of coralline spores from arc to speed up the bare-ish rock coverage.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 119 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back