Hair algae!

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a blue one for a few months. I love watching him. He had a crab stuck to him the other day
Not pictured that he has carried around: thermometer and a 6 inch leather frag. In the picture he is giving a ride to a rasta frag and a blue mushroom.
8DF96480-42A7-47ED-9698-2714BABA7CFB.jpeg
FD81AF68-F15E-4464-B05C-BBFA6486F688.jpeg

Charlie G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar situation. New to reefing. I have a 32 gal biocube. My DT is now 8 months old. At about 5 months started noticing GHA. At the same time nutrients had been trending upward despite being careful not to overfeed and I have always performed weekly 15% water changes. During the time the GHA appeared my nitrate went up to 8.1 and Phos 0.18. I have been manually removing but still present. I don’t think it has increased but I am just coming back from being away for a week so who knows. Before I left for vacation one week ago my nutrients on 8/19 were Itrste 0.8 and Phos 0.11.

- I assume that it’s due to the GHA absorbing the nutrients???

My goal is to manually remove/scrub.
I can remove some of the rock and scrub.

I have a few questions. Hope you can help.

I have read about using peroxide.
-Do I spray on the rock or wavemaker after I remove from the tank?
-How long to I leave it out of the water before rinsing (rinse with water from water change?)?

Urchins.
-I heard they are very good at cleaning GHA. Do they clean established GHA growth?
-I heard they can grab coral Frags that are not attached. Will they disturb those that are secured?
-some of my aqua scape is not glued down, just laying on each other. Could they disrupt that?

I have a CUC but they don’t seem to be making a dent in it. I do not want to use any chemicals and don’t mind putting in the work and understand that this is not a quick process. Anything else you can recommend?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back