Hair algea issue

DVal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some advice on a hair algea issue I'm having. Tank has been up 10 months. Prior to my algea outbreak, nitrates were between 6-10 and nitrates .02-.08. Refugium with chaeto runs 9 hrs. I began using KZ coral vitalizer and then starting getting hair algea. It's supposed to not increase nitrate/phosphate. Never noticed a rise. The bottle does not say to refrigerate, but I have seen some recommend to refrigerate. I was not refrigerating. I have been manually removing the algea and doing 25% water changes every 2 weeks. Also adding microbacter and dosing phyto.My nitrates and phosphates have been 2 and .04-.06 the past few weeks with the hair algea present.

Questions:
1) should I switch to 10% water change every week until I get the algea under control?
2) should I increase the refugium lighting schedule to out-compete the hair algea while making sure I'm not bottoming out nitrates and phosphates?
3) any other ideas?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manual removal is your best option. It will allow for more nutrients to get to the fuge and be consumed there.
Something in the KZ coral vitalizer that hair algae likes .

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's quite a bit of supplements you're adding - Phyto, Microbacter, KZ CR. Filamentous algae (Hair) can take up nutrients faster that any other organism (except cyano). Your testing may/will not reflect the nutrients that have been taken up the algae.

Unless it's absolutely required for your tank I would reduce the amount of additives over time. Continue manual removal of hair algae. Increase photo period/intensity on fuge.

10% a week is normal <1 year and not seeing a need to increase unless your nutrients increase.

Once tank is balanced out and GHA is gone or stable (always going to be some)- start adding back in your supplements gradually as you desire.

OP
OP
DVal

DVal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's quite a bit of supplements you're adding - Phyto, Microbacter, KZ CR. Filamentous algae (Hair) can take up nutrients faster that any other organism (except cyano). Your testing may/will not reflect the nutrients that have been taken up the algae.

Unless it's absolutely required for your tank I would reduce the amount of additives over time. Continue manual removal of hair algae. Increase photo period/intensity on fuge.

10% a week is normal <1 year and not seeing a need to increase unless your nutrients increase.

Once tank is balanced out and GHA is gone or stable (always going to be some)- start adding back in your supplements gradually as you desire.
I should have clarified...I stopped the KZ about a month ago when algea appeared. I've dosed the microbacter once a week twice.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back