Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So.. I just found out about this.
IMG_20200806_203221.jpg

IMG_20200806_203307.jpg

I was hoping that it was only a scratch. But I think its a crack because I can see it go in the silicone and frame.

I can feel it on the outside but I cant feel it from the inside though.

What can I do with this? Can I put an epoxy to stop the spreading?

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on the epoxy, my gut tells me no though. I suggest marking with a sharpie or tape where the crack is right now so you can see if it spreads. Sharpie washes off later with a magic eraser btw

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that is really a crack then you need to start draining that tank asap! It has the potential to run in any direction at any time.... I might be temporarily comfortable with it being drained halfway since the crack is at the top but even that is a gamble.

Any idea what caused it?

r20crazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you feel it on the outside its a crack.... get tubs and temp tanks ready asap... not if but when it fails. if unsure.... run a razor blade over it.. if production silicone you never noticed it will scrape off easily and you can rest easy... if blade catches or "scrapes" over it get tubs ready, its a crack

Last edited:

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree hard to tell ,hoping ,looks like a scratch,if crack,sorry to say action asap !! try to post more pics at different angles,more i look ,looks like a scratch,fingers crossed ,look through the pane see if you can see

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Is it cracked or is it glue/resin fiber ?
Take finger nail and see if you can scrape away or if you feel crack.
Uf crack- this is a disaster waiting to happen

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won't look pretty on the front pane but technically bc it is high up on the tank, you can drain below the leading edge of the crack and silicone a piece of glass over the crack from the inside if the piece you use extends and inch or two beyond the crack.

Would be about $40 of glass and silicone. Most would consider it too unsightly to leave as is, but it would buy you the time to make arrangements for a replacement tank without fear of imminent failure.

I did this on the tank I use for coral QT and it holds fine.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
you said cannot feel on inside,look through panel ,try to get pic,leaning toward scratch on outside ,i hope

OP
OP
Philly Reefer

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you feel it on the outside its a crack.... get tubs and temp tanks ready asap... not if but when it fails. if unsure.... run a razor blade over it.. if production silicone you never noticed it will scrape off easily and you can rest easy... if blade catches or "scrapes" over it get tubs ready, its a crack

Ty all for the input. I feel really dumb now.. but very relieved. I did try to scratch it off with my fingernail but it didnt scratch off. I didn't really think about razor blade.

After couple hours of restless sleep, I woke up and read all your suggestions. Grab a razor blade and its gone... Why didn't I think of that earlier? LoL. Maybe because I was afraid it will cracked further if I did anything.

Pictures coming in the morning..

Btw it was hard to take other angle of pictures because how thin the "scratch" was. At 1 angle I can see the light bounce of it, so i was seeing rainbow line of the led. Hence thinking it was a crack.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
glad to hear!!! happy reefing ;)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back