Hairy mushroom removal??? Anyone know how to??

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I rehabbed a green hairy mushroom, that has multiplied more than Xenia in my tank. I am looking for removal tips. I don't want to cut the rock if I don't have to. Anyone have any tricks for removing them? I have like 8 now......... They need to go.:xd:

Netta Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a little vinegar in a hypodermic needle, just inject a small amount into the flesh the vinegar does not hurt the tank in small amounts.

OP
OP
Captain Nemo

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also don want to kill them, simply remove so I can take to the Lfs and trade in for something....

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also don want to kill them, simply remove so I can take to the Lfs and trade in for something....

You really have no choice but to remove the rock they are on. Sometimes an LFS will trade you bare live rock for live rock with mushrooms on it. You still may have to kill the last remaining ones though. I gave my hairy mushrooms away a year ago and I am still finding little ones on the under side of rocks down low in my tank. I have one left that I am just injecting with kalk paste and killing it.

OP
OP
Captain Nemo

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Paul! I will ask them about that, maybe they will do that if not I will break the LR and do it that way. Thanks again guys!!

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Sometimes you can get in underneath the mushroom with a pair of bone cutters, ( or any kind of snips) and just cut of a very small bit of rock. I made the terrible mistake of adding them to my tank and just can't seem to get rid of them. I usually use kalk paste too.

sf_ramsden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember having these years ago... When I first got them they were so cute and tiny. A few days later when I looked at my tank I had dinner plate sized fuzzy shrooms in my tank. I could not believe my eyes. Right away I found a local reefer to take the whole rock for free. No way was I dealing with those things taking up my entire tank.

Danno81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a little vinegar in a hypodermic needle, just inject a small amount into the flesh the vinegar does not hurt the tank in small amounts.
I realize this is from over a decade ago and I hope all are involved are well. How good does the vinegar work ? I don’t want to disrupt my tank. Everything is doing great just got to get rid of 2 mushrooms they are on a permanent rock that I can’t get out of the tank without destroying the entire aqua scape.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 57

anthonymckay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes you can get in underneath the mushroom with a pair of bone cutters, ( or any kind of snips) and just cut of a very small bit of rock. I made the terrible mistake of adding them to my tank and just can't seem to get rid of them. I usually use kalk paste too.
I've had orange mushrooms for nearly a decade that I've tried to eradicate. I've even gone as far as injecting them full of kalk paste... and seen them survive it. Blew my mind.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 146 88.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back