Hairy Mushroom separating from Rock

Ecu29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a bad thing ? Looks like this hairy mushroom is separating from its rock . And should I turn off the powerhead like when an anemone moves ? I heard it could be from Stronium deficiency, but will it attach someplace else ? I add Stronium , Calcium, Eight.Four to raise PH, and Iodide weekly, but may not be adding it often enough . Any help is greatly appreciated !
Thanks
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1404422326.808128.jpg

Ecu29 REEF2REEF

OP
OP
Ecu29

Ecu29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hairy Mushroom help ..

Is this a bad thing ? Looks like this hairy mushroom is separating from its rock . And should I turn off the powerhead like when an anemone moves ? I heard it could be from Stronium deficiency, but will it attach someplace else ? I add Stronium , Calcium, Eight.Four to raise PH, and Iodide weekly, but may not be adding it often enough . Any help is greatly appreciated !

Thanks

Ecu29 REEF2REEF
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1404422926.649274.jpg

Ecu29 REEF2REEF

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're not testing for Iodine or Strontium than you probably should not add it. Routine water changes will achieve the same results. A little Iodine and Strontium is probably ok but not weekly unless you know your tank absolutely needs it.
Rhodactis will move and leave behind strands of tissue that becomes another Rhodactis, laterial fission. If the Rhodactis completely detaches and floats around than it's probably looking for an area more to it's liking.

OP
OP
Ecu29

Ecu29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it tested for everything almost everything about twice a month . They told me to add those four things weekly . I've never been told there's a Stronium deficiency . So it could attach to another rock ?

Ecu29 REEF2REEF

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would need to see a top down shot to be sure but it may be beginning the process of splitting.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh sure it could. Mine used to move around every couple weeks. They would not move far but they do move.

Remember the fish store is going to tell you to add a lot of things you do not actually need, it's a business. Just be aware that both Iodine and Strontium can become toxic when high levels are achieved and both trace element are replenished with water changes.

OP
OP
Ecu29

Ecu29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the advice ! Very helpful :)

Ecu29 REEF2REEF

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will detach if too much flow or lighting. They prefer little flow.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 88 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back