Hairy Orange Hermit Crab

FizxVix3n

Feb2018 1st SW tank - BC29
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soooo….I’m one of those people who sometimes succumbs to “omg I have to have it now because I never will see it again” and this new side quest for treasure suddenly diverts me from my main quest (and as always, since side quest is quick and high reward, who doesn’t take that quest and runs with it!). So with shame I admit the following…
Today I was at LFS and came across a hairy orange hermit crab that, as our eyes locked and time stood still, I feel in love with it. Obviously a bigboi and in need of his own space. What can I comfortably offer him as new digs so that he may sing “sshhhiiinnneeeyyyyy” to me as bring food offerings and swag for his glittery butt? Would a 5 gallon tank be ok space wise for a ~3” king (max 5-6 if I understand correctly)? Could I put him into one of those 5 - 8g bio orb tanks? I’d put some established rock with “weeds” and algae and feed plenty of meat (of course set it up/establish parameters all that for his best well being). I am upgrading my small main tank later this year so there will be options. He was just so my kind of guy. Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!!!
Lindsey

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soooo….I’m one of those people who sometimes succumbs to “omg I have to have it now because I never will see it again” and this new side quest for treasure suddenly diverts me from my main quest (and as always, since side quest is quick and high reward, who doesn’t take that quest and runs with it!). So with shame I admit the following…
Today I was at LFS and came across a hairy orange hermit crab that, as our eyes locked and time stood still, I feel in love with it. Obviously a bigboi and in need of his own space. What can I comfortably offer him as new digs so that he may sing “sshhhiiinnneeeyyyyy” to me as bring food offerings and swag for his glittery butt? Would a 5 gallon tank be ok space wise for a ~3” king (max 5-6 if I understand correctly)? Could I put him into one of those 5 - 8g bio orb tanks? I’d put some established rock with “weeds” and algae and feed plenty of meat (of course set it up/establish parameters all that for his best well being). I am upgrading my small main tank later this year so there will be options. He was just so my kind of guy. Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!!!
Lindsey
To preface this, I have no experience with larger hermit crabs myself, so hopefully someone who does will chime in for you here. That said, personally, I'd go with a bigger tank for a large hermit - preferably one that's wide/long, with less of a priority on height - but you probably could do a smaller tank without issues. I'd just personally feel a lot more comfortable with putting a 5-6" hermit in something like a 15-20 gallon so it would have more space to roam.

OP
OP
FizxVix3n

FizxVix3n

Feb2018 1st SW tank - BC29
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To preface this, I have no experience with larger hermit crabs myself, so hopefully someone who does will chime in for you here. That said, personally, I'd go with a bigger tank for a large hermit - preferably one that's wide/long, with less of a priority on height - but you probably could do a smaller tank without issues. I'd just personally feel a lot more comfortable with putting a 5-6" hermit in something like a 15-20 gallon so it would have more space to roam.
Yea having thought it over in a less "omg how do I make this happen right this minute" state, I agree with you. I will be responsible and not subject him to a bowl. Thanks for the support!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back