Hairy things on my crabs and snails

TBLightning

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed that a few of my crabs and snails are growing these white hair like things on their shells. Friend? Foe? Neutral? Thanks for your help.
20230129_093627.jpg
20230129_093354.jpg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First one looks like either, spionid worms (not technically harmful, but they can spread to huge populations and look very unsightly), sponges (harmless filter feeders), or both - personally I’d remove any spionids.

The second pic looks like hydroids, and those you would want to remove.

Tanglover1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First one looks like either, spionid worms (not technically harmful, but they can spread to huge populations and look very unsightly), sponges (harmless filter feeders), or both - personally I’d remove any spionids.

+1

OP
OP
T

TBLightning

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is it best to just remove the crab(s) with hydroids? Is there anyway to force them to take a different shell so I don't have to terminate the crab itself?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it best to just remove the crab(s) with hydroids? Is there anyway to force them to take a different shell so I don't have to terminate the crab itself?
It may go for another shell, but I would count on it. I’d probably take the crab from the display tank and put it in a little bucket or bowl of tank water for cleaning/treatment.

For getting rid of the hydroids and not the crab, I've heard smothering the hydroids with kalk paste may work, and here are some other threads with suggestions that might be helpful:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can carefully rub hydrogen peroxide onto their shell with a paper towl or q-tip. I do this to every crab or snail before they enter the tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back