Half my torch is dead or dying, now what?

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t necessarily think it’s brown jelly, but I’m worried it will turn into that.
I would keep doing what you’re doing and wait 24 hours. Something could’ve bumped into it causing it to close up. If it doesn’t look better tomorrow, I would start dipping.

150 Gallon Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you ever decide to change salts, I love tropic Marin pro reef. Very consistent levels out of each bucket I've used.

Try moving the torch around a little bit to see if it's the placement he's not happy with. I do agree that the phosphates are a bit high. My torch get smaller when my phosphates and or nitrates start to rise a bit. That's when I know Its time for a water change

SebastianM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using IO Reef Crystals with good luck, I am very fond of them as they keep my numbers stable in my LPS dominant nano, (Alk: 10 Calc: 450 Mag: 1400) and the I love the price compared to other salts. I do a 10-20% water change every Sunday. With your tank, with out the fuge, I’m surprised you don’t have an algae outbreak. I’d recommend getting on top of the water changes, doing 10-15% on Sunday and 10-15% on a Thursday, to help lower those nutrient levels. Then once they level out stick to once a week. I run a bag of Chemi-Pure Blue in my HOB filter, it helps lower phosphates. My filtration is a Aqua-Clear 70 with the stock sponge, bio-media, and I’ve replaced the original carbon pouch with the chemi pure and added some filter floss to polish things up. Here’s a few pics of some of my LPS: 10 Gallon Nano Reef
FFDB84E0-B6C1-4149-863B-FDB3DF66C6D9.jpeg
51ED684D-24D1-466B-8876-C40ED50ECEAC.jpeg
C103EF23-87B4-492C-8D3E-8F67BC6D1AAC.jpeg
1599F0C7-CC49-40E4-92DD-A6371C3A4917.jpeg
3173BF5E-CEED-48CD-A10A-477FD5CC4FD3.jpeg

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep doing what you’re doing and wait 24 hours. Something could’ve bumped into it causing it to close up. If it doesn’t look better tomorrow, I would start dipping.

this didn’t just start today it’s been several days which is why I finally asked

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay everyone thanks for all the responses. I’m thinking it needs a dip. While I don’t think my parameters are helping, I’m also not convinced they are the route cause of this. I would think if it was just a parameter issue why doesn’t the other head show any signs of distress.

For a dip should I do CoralRx or Iodine? I have CoralRx on hand, I would need to go get iodine. Can I do both? Obviously not at the same time.

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FME when euphyllia start acting up like you picture appears it’s a water flow issue. A slow or rapid change in water quality should a effect more than just half of a torch. Looks fairly close to the corner and maybe lacking enough flow to keep it happy throughout the day. As my euphyllia have grown I have had several look like yours and normally moving them or bumping up the flow a bit “fixes” them.

philosophile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience is that euphillia are super sensitive to elevated phosphates, and start shrinking/retracting their tentacles in water that has too much phosphate for them.... then they just start dying.

Usually when you lower phosphate, they bounce back pretty quickly. You said you're running phosguard. Have you changed it recently? With high phosphate, it can deplete your media pretty quickly sometimes. And for whatever reason, phosphate tends to persist through standard water changes.

So... my suggestion is one of two things: replenish your phosphate media. Get a phosphate test kit and watch the numbers.... you want it down to .05-.10. In my 90g I had to use a bunch of gfo (almost twice the recommend) and needed to change it out almost a week after I had put it in. note that this did kill my chaeto, and that prolonged the phosphate spike.... so if you have microalgae, keep an eye on it and be prepared to remove it.

2. A series of large and frequent water changes. Aim for 50%, every two days for a week.

Once you have it under control, you might need to add a small amount of phosphate media, to help keep phosphate down, as generally, many ways of exporting phosphate like macroalgae, tend to remove more nitrate than phosphate comparatively. So over a long period of time, phosphates will creep up, and your euphillia will start looking bad again. In fact I keep euphyllia precisely for this reason, as it tells me when to change my phosphate media.

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its borwn jelly cut off the bad head and dip the good one in some dip. Sometimes this happens in the most pristine conditions, the key is to save what you have left before it spreads

Twinanoreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definetly a bacterial infection and not a gonner. Do a 3-4 day antibiotic dip ( tetracycline preferably), if not available any wide specter antibiotic will be helpful. Open the capsule and dissolve in a bowl with aquarium water and dip for at least 30 minutes. While dipping use a turkey baster to gently blow off decaying tissue. It will look really bad for a couple of days, but will bounce back. Heres what mine looked like and a 4 days later pic after antibiotic dip. Now its almost fully recovered.
IMG_20200119_224323.jpg
IMG_20200122_150050.jpg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back