Half of my montipora is gone!

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
size tank ? interceptor? @Eagle_Steve ??
Stability is my question due to tank age. The tank may seem stable on the big 3, but things we cannot test are more than likely not stable. This and the lighting may be the cause.

One has to remember, 300 par of mostly white and 300 par of all blue causes the zoo to react differently. This coupled with new tank instability can cause all kinds of havoc with sps.

The sand and water from the beach doesn’t bother me that much. I bring stuff back from Florida all the time and throw it in tanks. Although on a new tank, it could have shocked some things, but highly doubt that.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i thought high light overdose causes bleaching. Can RTN be from light? I did stress my corals with switching lights every day. :(

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i thought high light overdose causes bleaching. Can RTN be from light? I did stress my corals with switching lights every day. :(
It can. If I was to take a frag out of my frag tank and put it in my main tank (same water) and place it up high, it would melt in a day. Frag tank is mostly white looking due to MH lights and main is led/t5. Par is the same, but light is considerably different. Have to start anything low down and work them up. Basically, you could be sunburning them, so to speak, and the flesh peels off. Horrible analogy, but gets the point across lol.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to say it but the next month could to be rough as not every coral is going to show stress immediately. Monti seems to be the first to go and some of your other sps corals may follow.
the best thing you can do it make decisions and stick to them with your tank. the goal should be how many consecutive days you can go with making any adjustments to your system. sticking my hands in my tank or adjusting anything more than once a month is too much.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 43.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back