Half of zoa colony not opening

yoyak5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a zoa colony around 2 months ago. They were all open for about a week and since then about a quarter to half of them stay closed or barely open. I have had aiptasia growing on the frag that just keeps coming back and also these small snail looking things. Other zoas stay open all day long and mushrooms are doing great. Parameters are all fine except alk is a little low at 7.6-7.8. It’s always the same zoa heads that don’t open.

9C849FE3-0ED6-43C9-AF27-E4F5D56E4FE2.jpeg 685FBEDB-E828-41B4-BE3D-60FAB0D814C0.jpeg

dmy535

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need a better photo without the blues on. Can’t see if anything is on that plug.

did you dip them before adding to the tank? I had an issue with some cat eye zoas, and posted, someone told me to dip in iodine. I did, made them open within 2 days. Something was on my plug that was bothering them.

OP
OP
Y

yoyak5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need a better photo without the blues on. Can’t see if anything is on that plug.

did you dip them before adding to the tank? I had an issue with some cat eye zoas, and posted, someone told me to dip in iodine. I did, made them open within 2 days. Something was on my plug that was bothering them.
I’ll try to get a better photo but I was referring to the what to me look like snails on the frag. I don’t know if they are even live since they haven’t moved in a while but they just appeared. I know they weren’t there before. I’m gonna try to iodine dip them and see if that works.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize my eyesight is horrible so I see nothing on the zoanthids. However sundail snails and some pyramid snails are a pest that will eat zoanthids. Like I said I cant see anything in picture so no idea if that is what they are but it is worth looking up if you think there are things that look like snails on zoas.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back