Half of zoas not opening

yoyak5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this zoa colony about two months ago and for about 2 weeks they were fine but since then a quarter to a half of them stay barely open all day. I’ve had aiptasia growing on the frag and it just keeps coming back. I haven’t noticed any actually touching the zoas but I do have these snail looking things that are on the frag and also in between the zoas. I’m not sure what they are exactly.

LiveWire

Master Electrician/Certified RODI Guru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the REEF @yoyak5! Sounds like you have a lot going on. Tell us a little about your setup like what lighting and how much flow you have as well as temp and other parameters. Can you get a good clear picture of your colony also?

OP
OP
Y

yoyak5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Ai prime hd in a 13 gallon. The zoas are located at the bottom of the tank. My parameters are 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and .1 nitrate. I have noticed keeping higher nitrates has helped. I haven’t tested phosphates, but alk is usually at 7.6 to 8.0, magnesium is at 1325, calcium was 415. Temp is 78-80. And for the flow I have a aquamai and the stock pump, combined move about 400-450 gallons and no power heads are pointed directly at the zoas, I’ve also moved them around the tank and it’s always the same side that doesn’t open so I don’t think it’s flow or lighting. I have mushrooms and other zoas that are doing great with no problems and a gsp that I recently got that hasn’t opened but people say dipping gsp really annoys them and I’ve only had it for 4 days.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 67 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back