Halichoeres chloropterus: The Sweet and the Sour

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure many of you already know I own a specific wrasse which can have some nasty habits. I figured it was time to try and shed some light into how I care for mine and my experience with him.

If you can’t tell already from the title, this is about my Halichoeres chloropterus or the “Jade Wrasse” or “Pastel Green Wrasse” or even “Green Coris Wrasse”. Now, let’s get one of the common names out of the way, obviously this isn’t a true Coris Wrasse as they come from the genus Coris whilst this guy comes from the genus Halichoeres. This is the same case with Halichoeres chrysus the “Yellow Coris Wrasse”. I have yet to figure out why these are often sold under the common name “Green Coris Wrasse” however I feel it’s something to do with their body shape. I mean, look at this body shape and tell me you don’t see the resembl of a species when looking at it.
18BA236C-9883-44F5-94B3-9292A33A015B.jpeg

From just the first photo, you may be able to notice something ‘surprising’ about this specimen. Alright, it’s not as surprising if you know wrasses like the back of your hand, however usually I find people will try sell them on after finding out their nasty habits. This specimen is a Transitional Phase Male, usually I find people get juveniles and once they learn about this species, they try to get rid of them. Unfortunately I fell trap to the beauty of the Juveniles and got myself a ~1 inch Juvenile, now I personally prefer the Fish over the Coral/Inverts however this is only because I enjoy the personality of many RSWC (Reef Safe With Caution) fish. This guy is no exception and I refuse to let go of this specimen unless I have a proper issue - their aggressive tendencies. I have been warned by many about this species and for good reason.
The reason why many will try to get rid of this species after getting it is because these guys are known for being some of the worst with aggression. These guys are also a larger species of Halichoeres and so are more likely to take out CUC. I saw mine take on a fully grown Coral Banded Shrimp (Stenopus hispidus) two years ago. However, the diet is also very useful with certain outbreaks. I got mine because I liked the colours of him as a juvenile and I also needed a wrasse to deal with a flatworm outbreak. The flatworms were taken out within a week, and I have never regretted this wrasse since then. I unfortunately don’t have photos of her as a juvenile (I thought I did but they’ve vanished) so the majority of these photos will be from this year.
19ECD08F-207F-4F84-87FD-B44575F707E8.jpeg

Their aggression can be nasty as I mentioned above. However, my specimen only ever displayed true aggression when he started the transition phase. Ever since then, he has been submissive to my Halichoeres iridis. It’s not recommended to mix these guys with smaller species of Halichoeres (Or actually most of the wrasses we keep aren’t meant to mix with these guys). However, I got my Iridis as a Juvenile a month or so after the Chloropterus and they have always been relatively peaceful with eachother. I have seen the Iridis showing off to the Jade every so often however it’s the Iridis establishing that he’s the boss and the Chloropterus allows it. Here’s the Iridis with his fins in show whilst swimming.
CC72CF84-145B-4BCF-B4F5-0B917F7A28E7.jpeg

I’m sure many may be thinking that to not have aggression from the Chloropterus I must have a rather large tank. Actually, I have a standard sized tank that many others may have if not smaller than some of your tanks. I have my 6 wrasses in a 4’x2’x2’ tank. I believe the biggest thing with keeping aggression down is I have slightly more fish for a 4’ tank than someone may recommend. I have 13-14 fish total in this tank and a very cave suited rock structure. The Jade loves to hunt in the crevices along with my Chelmon rostratum and Halichoeres iridis. Another thing I do that keeps aggression down is I will feed rather heavily and keep ontop of natural food sources (I supplement Pods on the weekly). On the daily I feed 6-7 cubes of mixed foods and 2-3 pinches of a mix of flakes and pellets. However, altogether I believe what keeps the aggression low is… The fish’s own personality.
5315AC3E-454F-4401-8F6B-15707C4A6D20.jpeg

You may also be wondering how I know this is a transitioning male and not a mature female. Well, if you look at a juvenile then you won’t see the beautiful facial markings that you see on this specimen. But I have found that these facial markings are seen on mature females as well as males, so this doesn’t really help us know if it’s transitioning or not. Another difference is how in some of the photos you can see a darker patch more easily. This isn’t a trick of the light but is in fact the fish showing the darker brownish/black splotch of a Male. On mine, towards the head there’s a slightly more olive green to white just above the facial markings and towards the caudal fin from the very white stomach. This is yet another sign of a Transitional Phase Male. But the biggest sign I have found is actually one of the hardest to spot. It’s the yellow and black rings at the bottom of the Pectoral Fins. This photo shows all of the signs best as this is him from today. In comparison to the other photos, he is much further along the Transitioning phase.
70A18DA3-42C2-4D29-B925-0EA5D28D9FAF.jpeg

I hope you follow along with this journey of my experience with a Halichoeres chloropterus and join in to see this transitioning phase (Will be trying to get weekly photos from now on). Obviously, this isn’t me trying to say “Go out and buy this fish” I just thought it would be fun to document my experience with a Halichoeres chloropterus and have you guys follow along. I have found this guy to be my one of my most interesting wrasses, my hybrid flasher barely takes the cake though.

- I Cant Think

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention, I do have this guy with inverts. Said inverts are; A 2.5-3” Lysmata amboinensis, a beautiful 1.5-2” Stenopus scuttelatus, a potentially dead 0.5-1” Alpheus bellulus, two Lytechinus variegatus and a 1.5-2” Percnon gibbesi. Along with a ton of snails and 3 assorted crabs. None of them have been touched by him and instead the Iridis is more interested in the inverts than my other fish.

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fish I am considering for my 60g in the restock. Iridis wrasses tend to hit prices well above the other Halichoeres wrasses and since I have had my share of yellows this might be worth a try.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fish I am considering for my 60g in the restock. Iridis wrasses tend to hit prices well above the other Halichoeres wrasses and since I have had my share of yellows this might be worth a try.
I would be careful with them. Some can be down right nasty whilst some will be rather nice. Some will also say they get ugly as males but I personally disagree.

If you can spare the money, I would personally go for the Iridis. I had a cap on my fish and didn’t want them to go over a certain price tag… I gave up after finding out how much the iridis was. Never have I regretted spending over the price tag to this day (Most of my wrasses are a year old if not two years old by now).

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Budgets typically go out the window when we see something we really want. I swore I would never pay over $200 for a fish! Saw a moyers leopard, and just had to have her. Next on my list is a chaoti leopard, well over my limit.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Budgets typically go out the window when we see something we really want. I swore I would never pay over $200 for a fish! Saw a moyers leopard, and just had to have her. Next on my list is a chaoti leopard, well over my limit.
I think the one that pushed me to drop the limit was my Genicanthus. He was a true beauty but with a price tag that was well over 100 when I only wanted to spend 40 at the most it was a gamble.

My trio of pinkies was also well over 100 which has made me want to go all out with the 3’ nano I have so now it’s just for the fish I’ve desperately wanted for a long time (And you bet that a Choati is on the list and then finishing with a pair of Wetmorella tanakai).

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love wetmorella's! Tanakais specifically.

My tank is just to active to with too many big fish. They are just to shy and I have tried a few times. They usually just wither away and die. I have since swore them off.

Maybe if I setup a nano/mini I might try again some day.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love wetmorella's! Tanakais specifically.

My tank is just to active to with too many big fish. They are just to shy and I have tried a few times. They usually just wither away and die. I have since swore them off.

Maybe if I setup a nano/mini I might try again some day.
Fingers crossed you do, it’s unfortunate that Wetmorella and Pseudocheilinops don’t do well in active tanks unless added early on. I got lucky finding a trio of pinks just after the tank was ready for fish.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we might derailing this thread, but such is the way of the forums sometimes. :D
Don’t worry, I can always just plop a photo down and get it back on track haha

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s last week’s photo of my Chloropterus, this weeks photo will come later today! I got the photo last week then forgot to update this thread (Oops).
He’s still a peaceful giant for now, and the iridis remains king.
22777839-350C-4D42-A9E6-CE51AE47326E.jpeg

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I managed to let this slip out again but will be trying to keep ontop of this thread haha.
Here’s a photo from this week, not much has changed other than the tint of blue and greens in his dorsal fin.
28AD577D-6CD6-4D48-866D-83DAEC289563.jpeg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 27 27.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back