Hammer coral bleaching?

Ckparent

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I’ve recently seen that my hammer coral has started to bleach. I really would like to save this coral, so any advice helps
Light: coralife Led(looking to upgrade to prime 16hd)
Water parameters:
Salinity 1.024(been stable around 1.024)
Alkalinity: 10.2 DKH
Nitrates 10 ppm
2 Sicce 1000L/H stream pumps
Picture of bleached coral is on top
Picture of placement of hammer coral is bottom

950BA98A-B3D4-41B8-AB77-DA4A1C8C1D71.jpeg A6FB1BB9-A5FC-429C-B935-85E7CE78DBB8.jpeg

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I’ve recently seen that my hammer coral has started to bleach. I really would like to save this coral, so any advice helps
Light: coralife Led(looking to upgrade to prime 16hd)
Water parameters:
Salinity 1.024(been stable around 1.024)
Alkalinity: 10.2 DKH
Nitrates 10 ppm
2 Sicce 1000L/H stream pumps
Picture of bleached coral is on top
Picture of placement of hammer coral is bottom

950BA98A-B3D4-41B8-AB77-DA4A1C8C1D71.jpeg A6FB1BB9-A5FC-429C-B935-85E7CE78DBB8.jpeg
Bleaching also happens with temperature change, what is your tank temp? Has it changed in the past 74 hours?
Try turning off your lights for a day or two your other coral will be fine. Welcome to the reef!!

OP
OP
C

Ckparent

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My temperature is 75 degrees, but it seems as though my coral started to lose its color around a week and a half ago

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has this tank been set up? Are there any fish in this system, what are you doing for feeding?
This tank just looks way to new with dry rock to be attempting corals already.
Please give us background detail on tank set up.

OP
OP
C

Ckparent

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank has been set up since mid November. I used dry rock as my rock for the tank. I clean the tank every week, and had fish in the tank for 2 months until we they passed away. I fed the brine shrimp have not added any other fish. I have a fluval protein skimmer, and I’m not running my white light for on my coralife led light only blue and purple rgb. Do you have any suggestions on how to get algae growth or create a more established aquarium

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank has been set up since mid November. I used dry rock as my rock for the tank. I clean the tank every week, and had fish in the tank for 2 months until we they passed away. I fed the brine shrimp have not added any other fish. I have a fluval protein skimmer, and I’m not running my white light for on my coralife led light only blue and purple rgb. Do you have any suggestions on how to get algae growth or create a more established aquarium
What fish did you attempt? When was the last time you fed the tank?

And what’s your phosphate level? What test kits do you use? No algae is a pretty uncommon sign. If your tank can’t grow algae, it’s not going to grow corals, as the basic requirements for algae is light and nutrients, which corals need at the bare minimum.

OP
OP
C

Ckparent

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been growing diatoms along the sand and glass. I’m using a salifert alkalinity tester. API nitrate tester. Also when I took that picture I had just cleaned the glass.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 76 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 75 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 32 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.1%
Back