Hammer Coral head shaved off

TonyNPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI,

Newbee question here.
I purchased a tank from another fellow and it took a while to get the tank back together after the move.
In the meantime, one of the hermit crabs seems to have shaven off a head of one of the hammer corals ( or at least that who i would like to blame).
I saw him on the coral doing something for a long while.

My fault anyway...i should have just moved and glued it in place sooner than i did.

I have read that it is possible for the coral to grow again from the stump that is left.
Is this true?

I salvaged part of one of the heads and glued it to the rock in an area with moderate flow.
Is there a chance it may survive on its own away from the stump?

see pixs below...thank you in advance

Tony

stump.jpg coral head on rock.jpg

NanoJHB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's called polyp bail out, I doubt it had anything to do with the hermit crab. Most likely an issue with parameters before/ during the move.

Unfortunately the head won't recover if it's completely detached from the skeleton. But the rest of the coral could be okay if you keep everything in the tank stable :)

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI,

Newbee question here.
I purchased a tank from another fellow and it took a while to get the tank back together after the move.
In the meantime, one of the hermit crabs seems to have shaven off a head of one of the hammer corals ( or at least that who i would like to blame).
I saw him on the coral doing something for a long while.

My fault anyway...i should have just moved and glued it in place sooner than i did.

I have read that it is possible for the coral to grow again from the stump that is left.
Is this true?

I salvaged part of one of the heads and glued it to the rock in an area with moderate flow.
Is there a chance it may survive on its own away from the stump?

see pixs below...thank you in advance

Tony

stump.jpg coral head on rock.jpg
The tissue may grow a new skeleton. Not the other way around. The skeleton will be bare.

I also agree that most likely water conditions or the move did this.

Back