Hammer coral is dying?!

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that’s a tell tale sign of ammonia or high nitrates. I do wonder if the decaying flesh from the hammer is causing the ammonia spike.... I had an ammonia spike 2 years after my mixed reef was fully established caused by a mass amount of dinos dying. Everything was upset for awhile then it corrected itself over a week or so.
This would had been helpful to mention before but my shrimp did just recently die and days before he wasn’t interested in eating

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mini cycle also killed off my 7 year old coral banded shrimp which was larger than my hand. Here’s a picture of him in his glory days in my 24 gallon nano cube before he moved to the 45... RIP Jacques

17736A5D-79C0-416B-9D67-6F5F4F10EF4A.jpeg

OP
OP
Greenebean04

Greenebean04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mini cycle also killed off my 7 year old coral banded shrimp which was larger than my hand. Here’s a picture of him in his glory days in my 24 gallon nano cube before he moved to the 45... RIP Jacques

17736A5D-79C0-416B-9D67-6F5F4F10EF4A.jpeg
I’m going to test my ammonia again, and do a water change for sure. My shrimps name was Jacques too, he was one of my favorite parts of my tank and it’s weird because he died in between the branches of my hammer

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aaahhhhhh. I wonder if the hammer grabbed the shrimp and the shrimp tore the hell out of the hammer. That might be the problem...
I’m going to test my ammonia again, and do a water change for sure. My shrimps name was Jacques too, he was one of my favorite parts of my tank and it’s weird because he died in between the branches of my hammer

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched a RBTA at my lfs grab a peppermint shrimp and while the anemone was in the process of trying to kill the shrimp, the shrimp tore apart a couple of the BTA’s tentacles... shrimp can be pretty destructive, my coral banded ripped a beautiful rock nem to shreads moments after I put it in the tank... I’m starting to think this was damage from the shrimp, not the water...

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green bean, the rotting hammer could be the source of the ammonia and cloudy water, and as others have said it could be an infection or parasite (something that could spread to the other heads).

take the hammer out of the tank, clean out that dying head, do a water change, and take some water to your LFS and have them test. If you have something to dip it in, that’s great, otherwise your LFS will have a dip you can buy or possibly will just dip it for you. If you have a bucket or large Tupperware it should be fine for a couple hours or so, just like it would be in transport.

also test your new water first before adding it, in order to make sure that’s not the source of the issue.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green bean, the rotting hammer could be the source of the ammonia and cloudy water, and as others have said it could be an infection or parasite (something that could spread to the other heads).

take the hammer out of the tank, clean out that dying head, do a water change, and take some water to your LFS and have them test. If you have something to dip it in, that’s great, otherwise your LFS will have a dip you can buy or possibly will just dip it for you. If you have a bucket or large Tupperware it should be fine for a couple hours or so, just like it would be in transport.

also test your new water first before adding it, in order to make sure that’s not the source of the issue.
+1 but I think it’s shrimp damage, not an infection or parasites...

OP
OP
Greenebean04

Greenebean04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Gotcha, thank you for the advice!

OP
OP
Greenebean04

Greenebean04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched a RBTA at my lfs grab a peppermint shrimp and while the anemone was in the process of trying to kill the shrimp, the shrimp tore apart a couple of the BTA’s tentacles... shrimp can be pretty destructive, my coral banded ripped a beautiful rock nem to shreads moments after I put it in the tank... I’m starting to think this was damage from the shrimp, not the water...
Hmm, maybe because my shrimp was pretty much stuck when I tried to remove him from the tank

Jared's Little Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check all equipment and magnets to ensure no damage is on them that could allow to metals to be leeching into the water. Especially if the tank is over 1 year old this is a possibility unlikely but always a chance

OP
OP
Greenebean04

Greenebean04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check all equipment and magnets to ensure no damage is on them that could allow to metals to be leeching into the water. Especially if the tank is over 1 year old this is a possibility unlikely but always a chance
My tank is only 5 months old but I will check

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 92 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.7%
Back