Hammer coral not extending?

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this hammer coral like 3-4 weeks ago. It was doing great. Till one day it stopped expanding and opening fully. Its barely open now.

Calcium is 450
Phosphate is 0.02 it was 0
Salinity is 1.026
Temp is 77F.

My tank is only 2 months old. My lights are the radion g5 AB+ 65%. Previously rented a par meter to check and its all good within range.

I feed AB+ everynight sometimes reef roids.

Attachments

• 20221110_072125.mp4
    16.4 MB

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up your phosphate and nitrate.
"lights are a good range", what does that mean?
Do you know the par?
This tank is really new. What else is in the tank?
The flesh is slightly receded, has it been like this or has it been declining since you have had it? To be honest, it looks like it has been receeded for sometime. Probably before you purchased it but it's hard to tell in the very blue video.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up your phosphate and nitrate.
"lights are a good range", what does that mean?
Do you know the par?
This tank is really new. What else is in the tank?
The flesh is slightly receded, has it been like this or has it been declining since you have had it? To be honest, it looks like it has been receeded for sometime. Probably before you purchased it but it's hard to tell in the very blue video.
I really mentioned in my post that i rented a par meter and by good i mean 80-90 par. So. It was doing amazing since the first day i got it. Fully open. I dont know what happened.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really mentioned in my post that i rented a par meter and by good i mean 80-90 par. So. It was doing amazing since the first day i got it. Fully open. I dont know what happened.
80-90 is not enough.
Should be more like 150 par.
Your coral is hungry for nutrients and light.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
80-90 is not enough.
Should be more like 150 par.
Your coral is hungry for nutrients and light.
50-150 is the requirement for a hammer or im crazy? It was open for 4 weeks.... so

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is to new. Your nutrients are bottomed out and your lighting is to low par. These areas have all been presented correctly to you by the other posters. Make appropriate corrections. Wait a few months before adding more LPS coral to give your tank time to develop biodiversity and microfauna or you will be burning holes in your wallet. Your ugly stages are coming fast and furious the first year also.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is to new. Your nutrients are bottomed out and your lighting is to low par. These areas have all been presented correctly to you by the other posters. Make appropriate corrections. Wait a few months before adding more LPS coral to give your tank time to develop biodiversity and microfauna or you will be burning holes in your wallet. Your ugly stages are coming fast and furious the first year also.
How come a 90 par for a hammer is low since when?

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to let your tank settle for a bit. You have a lot going on in it for 2 months. It is going to be a very bumpy road and it will be hard for you to pinpoint problems the more you change things.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This says medium light. Medium to me means 120 to 250. But that's me.
This says 80 to 120 which I think is on the lower side.
This seems to be a good article.

Last edited:

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

All of my hammers, frogspawn, and Octospawn seem to have a “sweet spot” around 125-150 par, but a few want/like/can handle even more. For what it’s worth, I personally don’t know anyone that keeps them in that low of par.

Also, as others mentioned, your nutrients are low. Many hammers come from turbid, nutrient rich water. They’re much happier, in my experience, with some higher nutrients. Same thing goes for several other LPS corals like my trachy and scoly.

Other than those two points (which I think are the likely cause), another thing to keep an eye on is your flow. If you happened to make any changes to your flow, return nozzles, etc., the hammer might be getting pounded with too much flow, or maybe not enough. So keep an eye on that as well.

FIN&BONEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had the same problem with our euphyllia due to really clean water so we started feeding easylps pellets and have had great results without scumming up the water which our sps dont like.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were 0 last night i checked with the phosphate but iv been trying heavy feeding so im gonna check tonight

Bump up the reef energy dosage. That would work. Make sure to not overlight the hammer (keep around 80-150 ish par and it will be happy). Alternatively, you can dose it twice a day. I like to dose mid day or whenever I get back home to the tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back