Hammer Coral Not Happy

mattskee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hammer Coral that is not as full as he used to be I've had him for approximately a month now. I thought maybe it was too much light so I moved him down. I have been feeding him regularly but I am not sure what's going on. Had my water tested and it seems fine.

Any thoughts on what might be going on?
16105628679167137343188572393841.jpg

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks quite bleached. Will take time to recover. Having had it for only a month, you'll need longer to see if it will recover. I wouldn't bother much with feeding, I've never seen an active feeding response from my hammers. What is "seems fine" in actual numbers?

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any other corals in the tank? If so, how are they doing?

I'm an advocate for feeding corals, especially if they're bleached. The more you feed them, the greater the feeding response will be- to a maximum, of course.

OP
OP
mattskee

mattskee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks quite bleached. Will take time to recover. Having had it for only a month, you'll need longer to see if it will recover. I wouldn't bother much with feeding, I've never seen an active feeding response from my hammers. What is "seems fine" in actual numbers?

Temp = 76F
Specific Gravity = 1.025
NO3 = 20 (this is high)
NO2 = 1
pH = 8
Ammonia = 0

Havent tested Calcium, Magnesium, etc in a while. Need to get the stuff for it. Usually have the store do it.

OP
OP
mattskee

mattskee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any other corals in the tank? If so, how are they doing?

I'm an advocate for feeding corals, especially if they're bleached. The more you feed them, the greater the feeding response will be- to a maximum, of course.
Yes Zoas are fine, and my Frogspawn is fine (It loves to eat)

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temp = 76F
Specific Gravity = 1.025
NO3 = 20 (this is high)
NO2 = 1
pH = 8
Ammonia = 0

Havent tested Calcium, Magnesium, etc in a while. Need to get the stuff for it. Usually have the store do it.
so at this point, NO2 should be zero. I'll assume testing error. once the tank is established its rather pointless to even bother testing nitrites and ammonia. Nitrates aren't that concerning, wouldn't be that for the hammer. But yes, you need to be testing Alkalinity, calcium and magnesium. They are critical to keeping corals. I'd really say it may be the light, as it does look bleached. What sort of light are you running, and did you have the hammer up high to start?

OP
OP
mattskee

mattskee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so at this point, NO2 should be zero. I'll assume testing error. once the tank is established its rather pointless to even bother testing nitrites and ammonia. Nitrates aren't that concerning, wouldn't be that for the hammer. But yes, you need to be testing Alkalinity, calcium and magnesium. They are critical to keeping corals. I'd really say it may be the light, as it does look bleached. What sort of light are you running, and did you have the hammer up high to start?
Yes had it high to start. Didnt realize it should be lower. Using a Coralife Seascape LED (for now till my wife lets me spend more :). Tank is 75 gallon btw. I plan to go get a test kit today to cover everything and will post.

Thanks for the assist.

Deephouse_jedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you could only test 1 thing, it should be Alkalinity. I recommend getting that kit and paying most attention to that. I test Alk a few times a week.

A few things about hammers, they like low to moderate flow. Too much flow may rip it's flesh. When you got it and placed it in your tank did you accidentally drop it? The tissue may have ripped then. If that happened it's not going to open fully until it's healed. It looks like it's receding though.

OP
OP
mattskee

mattskee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you could only test 1 thing, it should be Alkalinity. I recommend getting that kit and paying most attention to that. I test Alk a few times a week.

A few things about hammers, they like low to moderate flow. Too much flow may rip it's flesh. When you got it and placed it in your tank did you accidentally drop it? The tissue may have ripped then. If that happened it's not going to open fully until it's healed. It looks like it's receding though.
Didnt drop it, but did have a powerhead hitting it. Though not too hard. But again it was at the top.

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didnt drop it, but did have a powerhead hitting it. Though not too hard. But again it was at the top.
Hitting it for a month, or just recently? If just recently, then that's your problem. But if it's been next to the powerhead and doing well for a month, I doubt it's the problem.

OP
OP
mattskee

mattskee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium is high. 520

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 27 50.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 28 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • None.

Votes: 12 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.7%
Back