Hammer Coral

Phelipe's Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone I need some help with my hammer coral, in my last system it was doing great and fully extended but now it is always closed up for the past 10 days. I have no idea what is going on with it all the other corals seem to be doing fine.

Parameters:
PH: 8.2
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Phosphate: 0 (ive tried a ton of test kits they all say zero)

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone I need some help with my hammer coral, in my last system it was doing great and fully extended but now it is always closed up for the past 10 days. I have no idea what is going on with it all the other corals seem to be doing fine.

Parameters:
PH: 8.2
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Phosphate: 0 (ive tried a ton of test kits they all say zero)
Do you have any pictures of the coral? Where in the tank is it placed? Generally they like low light and low flow.

OP
OP
Phelipe's Ocean

Phelipe's Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any pictures of the coral? Where in the tank is it placed? Generally they like low light and low flow.

It is at the bottom portion of the tank under an AI Prime HD, the flow is low as well.

e697bf885b7c14caa1a05fd0ff2704f6.jpg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they are both at 0 and salinity at 1.025
Sorry, missed that :D I'm going to guess its because your tank is "to clean" softies and LPS like a little dirtier water with detectable nitrate and phosphae. Either that or if there are any corals near it that are fighting with it....Hard to tell from the picture but is there alot of algae in the background on your rockwork?

OP
OP
Phelipe's Ocean

Phelipe's Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, missed that :D I'm going to guess its because your tank is "to clean" softies and LPS like a little dirtier water with detectable nitrate and phosphae. Either that or if there are any corals near it that are fighting with it....Hard to tell from the picture but is there alot of algae in the background on your rockwork?

Yes I had an algae outbreak start on monday and it is still going. It Occured right after I dosed Aqua Vitro fuel for the first time on sunday. I dont understand how there is algae but no detectable phos/nitrates.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I had an algae outbreak start on monday and it is still going. It Occured right after I dosed Aqua Vitro fuel for the first time on sunday. I dont understand how there is algae but no detectable phos/nitrates.
Because the algae is consuming it faster than it can be released into the water column to test it :)

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohhhhh as you can see Im a little slow[emoji23]. But how do I get levels high enough so my tank is not “too clean” without having algae problems?
You'll have to combat your algae problem first unfortunately. The algae will continue to consume it as long as its there. So you'll have to "starve out" the algea so it dies off. Then slowly bring your nutrient levels back up.

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 hammers and when I see that its closed up the way you have in your pic, its FLOW.. I say move it to a dead spot in the tank for the time being. One more thing, nutrients at 10-20ppm work for me. So at @Crabs Mcjones suggested, get rid of the algae first and then slowly bring up the system to detectable nitrates.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back