hammer coral

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just noticed something wierd on my hammer coral that i dont recall seeing before. see the picture below. it looks like a little pig tail. touching it with feeding tweezers, it seems like its part of the bony structure, but its one of my first corals, so i dont know if its normal. anyone know what it is? normal?
20210624_163527.jpg

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a feather duster IMO. In my little experience with vermatids they were always red

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point @PeterB113! Come to think of it, the small feather dusters I have hanging out on corals and rocks look a lot like that, with the white tube. That said, I've had some vermitids that were white before they got all algae covered. What's making me think more vermitid is the shape... haven't seen too many feather dusters with that shape, but then again, I'm only seeing a small sliver of what's out there.

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point @PeterB113! Come to think of it, the small feather dusters I have hanging out on corals and rocks look a lot like that, with the white tube. That said, I've had some vermitids that were white before they got all algae covered. What's making me think more vermitid is the shape... haven't seen too many feather dusters with that shape, but then again, I'm only seeing a small sliver of what's out there.
I've seen "mini coco worms" or red mini feather dusters that color but never vermaitds. Like I said I am BY NO MEANS an expert only in the hobby 6mos. But I would say if your not noticing any I'll effects with your hammer especially when you feed the tank then I don't believe it's a vermatid. Buy please take everything I say with a grain of salt lol

OP
OP
melonheadorion

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could definitely be either. Do you ever see white webs or strings in that area?
well, since i dont have the coral glued or physically attached anywhere, i picked it up just a bit ago to get some better pictures, and compared it to what i see on the web. im almost thinking vermitid myself. all of them that i see, have the same spiralish look to them. as sharkbait asked, i might have seen white strings in that area, but not since like day 2 and i have had it for about a week now. here are more pics

my assumption is vermitid, and might just remove them to be safe. seeing as there are a fair amount of them, i will probably cut them off, especially the darker brown ones.
20210624_204305.jpg
20210624_204249.jpg
20210624_204216.jpg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you remove/crush the vermatids, be sure to cover the opening with glue or something to starve them and keep them from coming back.

OP
OP
melonheadorion

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you remove/crush the vermatids, be sure to cover the opening with glue or something to starve them and keep them from coming back.
i just removed the brown ones and got their shells off, or at least almost all of it. enough to where i know that there is absolutely nothing left of it. when i move to the new tank. i used my magnifying headset to make sure that there is nothing left of the critter inside, and all that is left is just the outside of what shell there was..

i dont know if i am still sold on the feather duster part, but i leave that all up to you. thoughts on the smaller white ones?
20210624_212521.jpg

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If
i just removed the brown ones and got their shells off, or at least almost all of it. enough to where i know that there is absolutely nothing left of it. when i move to the new tank. i used my magnifying headset to make sure that there is nothing left of the critter inside, and all that is left is just the outside of what shell there was..

i dont know if i am still sold on the feather duster part, but i leave that all up to you. thoughts on the smaller white ones?
20210624_212521.jpg
If it is completely white and you see it open up at all then it is a feather duster. If you see any dark part on it including on the opening its likely a vermetid.
Nothing special about feather dusters other than looking cool and a little filter feeding. If in doubt, its no big deal to do the same thing even if it is a duster.

OP
OP
melonheadorion

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If

If it is completely white and you see it open up at all then it is a feather duster. If you see any dark part on it including on the opening its likely a vermetid.
Nothing special about feather dusters other than looking cool and a little filter feeding. If in doubt, its no big deal to do the same thing even if it is a duster.
i cant say that i really paid too much attention to it, so i cant say that they opened up, but i think i have noticed at the mouth of it, seems to be dark, so i will probably just remove it. as you said, its nothing special, so ridding of it is not losing out.

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so from the pics you posted now I would say vermatid most likely and in the future I've gotten rid of some on my fogspawn, not but cutting but just by placing some reef glue not the top of the tube. if they were on live rock I would cut it.

OP
OP
melonheadorion

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so from the pics you posted now I would say vermatid most likely and in the future I've gotten rid of some on my fogspawn, not but cutting but just by placing some reef glue not the top of the tube. if they were on live rock I would cut it.
basically, i used a set of hobby cutters and cut them off pretty easy. the rest was just removing the remnants of the shell and the living organism. with what i read online, i expected it to be a chore with the suggestions to use bone cutters, but was able to remove them very easy without them

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 132 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back