Hammer Health

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, this is my first post. I’m new to marine aquariums and I set up my first saltwater tank about six weeks ago. It’s an Aqueon 14 gallon cube. The price seemed like a steal so I bought two. My intention at first was to set one up as a FW planted shrimp tank. But I was already planning to get into SW, so at some point I switched gears and decided to try a nano reef tank.

I’m relatively experienced with freshwater aquariums, currently I have only two freshwater tanks running, one is a 29 gallon heavily planted community tank and the other is just a 1.5 gallon, lightly planted fry holding tank with no fry in it, because the 29 is swarming with fry now.

Corals though, I have no experience with, prior to my recent excursion. And inevitably questions and concerns have arisen. I bought this gold hammer, 18 days ago to be exact. It extends fully and looks healthy, from what I can tell, during the day. When I bought it, I noticed on the way home that it had a brownish green, ridge, or ring, ripple? Going around the skeleton about halfway up. I was concerned. I got home a dipped the coral in the solution that the guy at my not so local fish store gave me. He was kind enough to give me a little cup of it but never did tell me which solution it is. As per his instructions I put either 5 or 10ml (can’t remember) directly into the bag I brought the coral home in. I left it in there for 5 to 10 minutes, during which time I sucked up and squirted the water/dip at the hammer to blow out any critters in there. I repeated the process with two other corals. I took the coral out of the bag and washed it off a couple times with a pipette and tank water over a bucket. Then I put the coral in a small container of tank water for a minute and circulated the water around just to wash off as much of the dip solution as I could. Then I took it out and placed it at the bottom center of my tank.

Finally, the problem. Remember that brownish green ring around the skeleton? Well, I noticed during the dip, that it now looked like flesh was peeling off the skeleton and folding back to that ring. It’s been looking about the same the whole time I’ve had it, except the ridge is darker and I’ve noticed what I believe are new polyps, are growing from a few places on the skeleton, the biggest of which is situated right abouve the “flesh ridge”. What happened here? Do I need to take some kind of action or just let it ride? Sorry for the lengthy post, consider it my introduction. Really appreciate any help, Thanks!
3DB171AD-52F6-49BE-95BF-307F7E07B02A.jpeg
“Front”
3B3E8E28-4CED-4C0E-AFE1-FF32633E2F54.jpeg
”Back”
37FB5088-F0A5-45DA-A660-829A703EFADB.jpeg
”Extended”

The past two mornings it’s been looking a little weird before the lights come on:
3B60252A-589C-4B3F-A4A4-D7610835E060.jpeg

Last edited:

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not unusual for euphyllia to retract at night. I personally tie it to PH drop but I'm sure some will say circadian rhythm. Most of my frogspawn don't retract at night since keeping my PH above 8 overnight. Either way it's not a sign of ill health.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Uzidaisies

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not unusual for euphyllia to retract at night. I personally tie it to PH drop but I'm sure some will say circadian rhythm. Most of my frogspawn don't retract at night since keeping my PH above 8 overnight. Either way it's not a sign of ill health.
Thanks, the reason I say it’s been looking weird the past two mornings is because it’s been kind of bubbled up at the base in a way that I haven’t seen until now. It’s actually not as evident in the last photo as I thought. I’m aware of the retracting at night, that’s not what I’m worried about, but thank you. My concern is what seems to me to be the flesh peeling away from the base of the skeleton. I don’t know if this is common in hammer frags.

Upvote 0

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, the reason I say it’s been looking weird the past two mornings is because it’s been kind of bubbled up at the base in a way that I haven’t seen until now. It’s actually not as evident in the last photo as I thought. I’m aware of the retracting at night, that’s not what I’m worried about, but thank you. My concern is what seems to me to be the flesh peeling away from the base of the skeleton. I don’t know if this is common in hammer frags.
Flesh moving upward with growth is normal. Peeling is not. You got a better picture?

Upvote 0

Bribo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks fine to me. My hammer as it has grown some of the flesh on the skeleton receded but it has split a bunch and I attribute it to that. I don't see anything abnormal about the fleshy part.

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back