Hammer in the process of bleaching

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I've been topping off with RO, not sure why I said that lol. I've been kind of struggling with keeping my pH at 8.0 or higher, not too long ago I added some airline tubing to the air venturi of my protein skimmer so that it can take in air from my bedroom, but I haven't seen any difference so far. The only other stony coral I have other than the hammer is an acan. The only thing that I am manually dosing is Red Sea AB+, nothing else. Sorry about that; Ultra Violet, Violet, Royal, and Blue are at their max during the photoperiod; the photoperiod lasts from 1 pm to 8 pm (7 hours). Would the acclamation procedure look something like this?

IMG_1808[1].PNG
uv - 85
violet - 95
royal 98
blue 100
Green 5
red - 4
Cool white 20

In addition to lighting flow and placement are important.
Avoid extremely bright locations or areas of very high current, and avoid areas that are too dark or with currents that are too low. Fast currents risk damaging the soft, fleshy polyps (and getting an infection). Bright lights will cause bleaching. Insufficient lighting will cause this coral to wither away and starve to death.
Hammer corals only require a moderate amount of light for photosynthesis and can grow well in the intermediate regions of your tank. Just about any reef LED lighting should be sufficient for most tanks. Reduce white light intensity and get it off the sand bed which sand can irritate it.
The polyps should sway in the current, but not sustain so much pressure they are constantly bent over their skeleton. Too much flow will tear the polyps (worst case) and cause the polyps do not extend in the first place (best case). So, don’t give them too much flow.

These are Just some of mine:

660g 3.30a.jpg
660g 9.1a.png

OP
OP
IE Reefer

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry... I missed it the first time.

Tank looks good. Hammers are easy. And your parameters aren't terrible in my view.

Try moving the Hammer around. Place it higher in the tank so its closer to light and in areas with more flow.
Do you think that this might be a better spot than where it's at right now?

88A8E21D-F24A-4801-88F7-9B804404F08F.jpeg A669B149-9BFB-4301-9D4D-1643877185F9.jpeg image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
IE Reefer

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
uv - 85
violet - 95
royal 98
blue 100
Green 5
red - 4
Cool white 20

In addition to lighting flow and placement are important.
Avoid extremely bright locations or areas of very high current, and avoid areas that are too dark or with currents that are too low. Fast currents risk damaging the soft, fleshy polyps (and getting an infection). Bright lights will cause bleaching. Insufficient lighting will cause this coral to wither away and starve to death.
Hammer corals only require a moderate amount of light for photosynthesis and can grow well in the intermediate regions of your tank. Just about any reef LED lighting should be sufficient for most tanks. Reduce white light intensity and get it off the sand bed which sand can irritate it.
The polyps should sway in the current, but not sustain so much pressure they are constantly bent over their skeleton. Too much flow will tear the polyps (worst case) and cause the polyps do not extend in the first place (best case). So, don’t give them too much flow.

These are Just some of mine:

660g 3.30a.jpg
660g 9.1a.png
Wow, such a beautiful tank and euphyllia... I know that you mentioned, in some of my previous threads, to feed the hammer mysis shrimp; what should I do if it rejects it/doesn't eat it? I've been trying to feed it after feeding my fish with the pumps off, but it seems that it doesn't want to or it just takes forever to do so. The picture attached shows ~30 mins of progress

2EAEB431-A249-47A1-B443-0FC2D5D704AE.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
IE Reefer

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found an older picture of what it used to look like, man this sucks...

And what's crazy is that I was using Current USA lights and it got this big up until I switched to AI during the summer, maybe that might have been the cause of it’s downfall...

Do you guys think that I could bring it back to its former glory? Or is this the last chapter in its book?
5379E9CA-1E53-4A72-851D-37226379B87A.jpeg

Last edited:

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, such a beautiful tank and euphyllia... I know that you mentioned, in some of my previous threads, to feed the hammer mysis shrimp; what should I do if it rejects it/doesn't eat it? I've been trying to feed it after feeding my fish with the pumps off, but it seems that it doesn't want to or it just takes forever to do so. The picture attached shows ~30 mins of progress

Mine doesn't like mysis either, some do some don't. Try something like reef roids or reef chili. Stuff with smaller particles.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think that this might be a better spot than where it's at right now?

Definitely get it up off the sand bed. And I would point the power head located on the left more in the direction of your rock work.

Again, light and flow are key. And generally speaking, Hammers don't require much of each.

Make the move but don't expect results overnight. Move it and then wait 10 days or longer to see if there is an improvement. In your case, I'd wait longer.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Then feed brine shrimp or small plankton

OP
OP
IE Reefer

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely get it up off the sand bed. And I would point the power head located on the left more in the direction of your rock work.

Again, light and flow are key. And generally speaking, Hammers don't require much of each.

Make the move but don't expect results overnight. Move it and then wait 10 days or longer to see if there is an improvement. In your case, I'd wait longer.
It was never on the sand bed, but I’ll make sure not to. Don’t you think that I should try to reduce the amount of flow in the tank so that the polyp doesn’t fall off from force?

I think that I can be very demanding of results once I do something, but I realize now that it’s better to take things slow and get great results than rush something and make things worse. I think what I’ll do is wait about 10-20 days and each day I’ll take a picture so I can monitor its progress.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.5%
Back