Hammers won't grow in my tank!

Radicalrob1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. Thanks for reading.

Just wondering why my hammer coral won't grow. I originally had two but the other one did the same thing. Just sat and never grew. And then one day it just melted and died. I still have the newer one but its never grown in 6 months.

I have 2 Monti digis that have doubled in size. I have a rbta that's doubled in size as well. My acan coral is growing nicely too. Just my hammer or any other hammer I've boughten has never grew.

Does anyone have an explanation for this?

Thanks

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Details! We need details!

Explain your tank...age, lights, dosing regiment, water changes, N and P levels, alk, calc and mag levels, etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Radicalrob1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-Nitrates I keep between 3 to 8
-I keep my alk at 7.5 and dose seachem eight.four 1/4 tsp daily
-i dose aqua vitro ions and calcification between water changes. I test and keep my calc at 460 to 480. And my mag between 1350 to 1400. I usually just need to dose once a week
-i run chemipure and barely ever get a reading for phosphates. I know they're in there and do get some algae now and then.

I try to do a water change every 3 weeks. Seems to keep things pretty stable and the nitrates low. I just don't get how people say montis and anemones are hard to keep but they're thriving in my tank. But my hammer won't grow. I know they're not the easiest of corals but they're not that bad

For lightning I have a or3 blue plus mounted 10 inches above my tank. About where my montis and anemones are I'm getting about 220 par according to the websites par chart. Which is 15 inches from the light. I also have an AI prime mounted (same height) in the centre for extra blue and whites. Where my hammer sits I'm very safe to say it's probably getting at least 150 par or more. It's only a few inches down from my sps.

I had an older tank at one time and the hammer coral I had didn't grow in there either. I've never been able to grow them. Just seems weird that sps are fine.

I also use ro water.

redeyejedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-Nitrates I keep between 3 to 8
-I keep my alk at 7.5 and dose seachem eight.four 1/4 tsp daily
-i dose aqua vitro ions and calcification between water changes. I test and keep my calc at 460 to 480. And my mag between 1350 to 1400. I usually just need to dose once a week
-i run chemipure and barely ever get a reading for phosphates. I know they're in there and do get some algae now and then.

I try to do a water change every 3 weeks. Seems to keep things pretty stable and the nitrates low. I just don't get how people say montis and anemones are hard to keep but they're thriving in my tank. But my hammer won't grow. I know they're not the easiest of corals but they're not that bad

For lightning I have a or3 blue plus mounted 10 inches above my tank. About where my montis and anemones are I'm getting about 220 par according to the websites par chart. Which is 15 inches from the light. I also have an AI prime mounted (same height) in the centre for extra blue and whites. Where my hammer sits I'm very safe to say it's probably getting at least 150 par or more. It's only a few inches down from my sps.

I had an older tank at one time and the hammer coral I had didn't grow in there either. I've never been able to grow them. Just seems weird that sps are fine.

I also use ro water.
Phos is most likely your issue.

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried feeding them? with LPS, feeding them can help them to get the nutrients that they require. As another poster mentioned, your phosphate may be low, and feeding the hammer directly will help it to source the nutrients that it needs at that point. I would try feeding them once a week for a month and see if their health and growth improve.

Dennis

OP
OP
R

Radicalrob1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you mean my tank is too clean for Hammers? I'll see if I can get some lps pellets and maybe I'll try feeding it some mysis shrimp. I've tried feeding it shrimp before but it just lays on the polyps and the hammer sits still. I know they're slow eaters. How long would it take for it to eat? How long can I safely keep my flow off for ?

Roytrolls247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my hammers did the same thing It was full and happy but never grew I don't know if it is a coincidence but I started to does carbon and That Hammer and other corals started to grow and encrust within two weeks. Also I would check the coral for pest maybe take it out and dip it.

Last edited:

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you mean my tank is too clean for Hammers? I'll see if I can get some lps pellets and maybe I'll try feeding it some mysis shrimp. I've tried feeding it shrimp before but it just lays on the polyps and the hammer sits still. I know they're slow eaters. How long would it take for it to eat? How long can I safely keep my flow off for ?

Sounds like a plan. Just make sure you only feed it a little bit at a time and try various foods. Once you find something it 'likes' it will get easier. Also it may not be used to eating if food has not been offered in the past. Trying LPS pellets is a great idea.

When I am feeding LPS, I just use the feeding mode on my gyres and don't turn off the return. You should be able to leave your flow off a lot longer than it would take a hammer to eat. If it has not eaten in 15 - 30 minutes, it is likely not going to eat that offering.

Once it gets used to eating, it will become much easier.

Dennis

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 27 29.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 73 79.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 15 16.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • Other

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back