Pic of me feeding my hawiian spear type mantis.:bigsmile:
handfedmantis.jpg

650-IS350

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not a good idea with a spearer type IMO.... just google finger infected due to spearer.. guy almost lost a hand.

OP
OP
wicked demon

wicked demon

trained monkey
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
docile as a ***** cat,.....he he, been feeding him that way for about a year, he is never aggressive now. Wow the language monitor doesn't like kitties...lol.

Blackhawk Fan

Jedi Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is an awesome shot. Did you enter it in the photo of the month?

Edit: I forgot the photo of the month contests are theme based.

Last edited:

Cuda

Hunter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That dude had those Lions for years ,Then one day.........

There was also that Grizzly Guy .............

OP
OP
wicked demon

wicked demon

trained monkey
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
he he.....just don't hunt him down and kill him after he slaughters me and devours my carcase, like they did the bear and lion you are talking about.:cry:
and the poor old navy chimp....

650-IS350

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this one was a large one that was either just completed molting or was sick..
YouTube - Holding a huge mantis shrimp

How dangerous are the strikes of common mantis shrimps to humans? (Dr. R. Caldwell)
I handle stomatopods every day in our lab and when I'm in the field it is not uncommon to measure and sex 150 animals in an evening. Needless to say, I'm struck fairly often. Some species are far worse than others, but it usually hurts. Even a 2 cm Gonodactylus can draw blood and a 4 cm animal can drive the dactyl tips to the bone. Aside from a two inch slice in my hand made by a large lysiosquillid (by the uropod spine, not the dactyl), the most severe injury I have incurred was from a 7 cm Gonodactylus chiragra that drove its dactyl into the joint of my index finger and the tip broke off. It took some minor surgery to remove it. But that is nothing compared to what happen to a diver from South Africa who wrote me a few years ago describing his attempt to grab by hand an 18 cm Odontodactylus. The animal severely injured his finger which became infected by a chiton-digesting bacteria. The infection did not respond to the usual antibiotics. In the end, they amputated the finger. Be careful out there!

Cuda

Hunter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot about the Chimp That was BAD!
he he.....just don't hunt him down and kill him after he slaughters me and devours my carcase, like they did the bear and lion you are talking about.:cry:
and the poor old navy chimp....

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super ******...I thought that I was cool for handfeeding my lionfish. Too bad I cant see the picture. I really want to try one of these as a pet.

Based on what the scientist had to say though, I dont know if I would anymore ha.

Back