Hand sanitizer, Clorox wipes and water changes

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all this stuff going on and all the chemicals being used to clean our hands, I was wondering if simple hand washing with warm water is enough to clean off the hand sanitizer and any chemicals that could cause issues in our tanks?

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all this stuff going on and all the chemicals being used to clean our hands, I was wondering if simple hand washing with warm water is enough to clean off the hand sanitizer and any chemicals that could cause issues in our tanks?
Unless your tank is a nano or pico, I would think washing with soap and water and rinsing thoroughly with cold water would be perfectly safe preparation to work in your aquarium.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will be fine as already said as long as it’s not a nano/pico and even then your probably ok.

Ive always washed my hands after touching anything in the tank, and sometimes wash and then need to go straight back in and do something else without issues.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I think it really depends on what you use and what's in it. A lot of moisturizers have things like zinc in them (as do many other products), obviously hand sanitizer has alcohol in it. And the perfumy soaps wouldnt be good. And your skin absorbs pretty much anything wet you put on it. So if you are using a ton, there is a small chance of that leaching out and into your tank. I keep a spray bottle of vinegar water, after I wash my hands well with soap and water, I scrub my hands with the vinegar water.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just think caution should be heeded of course.
A good rinsing with water before sticking a hand in.

Once your hands are completely dry after using such products the chlorine and alcohol are gone and have gassed off and leave no residuals.
(TO MY KNOWLEDGE ANYWAY)

OP
OP
Afrashz

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys just wanted to be sure, I tend to overthink these types of things

CavalierReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always used long gloves when I spend any amount of time in my tanks over the years. I never put my hands in my tank unless it's really necessary.

IamChrismWard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I just recommend a long pair of dishwashing gloves, ten bucks and you never have to worry about what you're putting in your tank. Just don't use them for anything but inside the tank

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I’m using more lotion due to the extra hand washing I’m wearing my shoulder length gloves all the time. Normally, I only use them when cleaning or spending a lot of time in the tank

MaugieDawgieCorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My routine has never failed me: wash hands and arms up to my arm pits with dawn dish soap. Scrub for about thirty seconds then wash off under cold water for about a full minute. Feels kinda ridiculous doing it but have never had a negative reaction from putting my hands and arms in my tank. Also if I didn’t do a thorough job and there was a negative effect on the tank I would be devistated.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recommend a long pair of dishwashing gloves, ten bucks and you never have to worry about what you're putting in your tank. Just don't use them for anything but inside the tank

That's fine if your tank isn't 24" deep or deeper. I have shoulder length ones and even on 24" deep it's near the top. But for $14 on Amazon they're worth every penny.

jordan10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I think it really depends on what you use and what's in it. A lot of moisturizers have things like zinc in them (as do many other products), obviously hand sanitizer has alcohol in it. And the perfumy soaps wouldnt be good. And your skin absorbs pretty much anything wet you put on it. So if you are using a ton, there is a small chance of that leaching out and into your tank. I keep a spray bottle of vinegar water, after I wash my hands well with soap and water, I scrub my hands with the vinegar water.
Must like that vinegar smell lol

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My routine has never failed me: wash hands and arms up to my arm pits with dawn dish soap. Scrub for about thirty seconds then wash off under cold water for about a full minute. Feels kinda ridiculous doing it but have never had a negative reaction from putting my hands and arms in my tank. Also if I didn’t do a thorough job and there was a negative effect on the tank I would be devistated.
That's what I use dawn dish soap up to my armpits almost but I dont rinse off for a minute, I rinse off for maybe 20 seconds. It's worked for me for 30+ years with no issues so I wouldn't do it any other way.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back