Hand sanitizer, Clorox wipes and water changes

RudyvandenBerg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rule one. Don't put you hands in the tank. I don't think your fish can get C-19 but they don't know enough about it yet:p

I agree. The last thing we need is for this virus to mutate and we accidentally create brain eating zombie fish...

Use these...LOL

1585642076343.png

Deviant Nation

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless your tank is a nano or pico, I would think washing with soap and water and rinsing thoroughly with cold water would be perfectly safe preparation to work in your aquarium.
Could you explain why rinse with "Cold" water? I am guessing there is a reason but I don't know that reason. Thanks!

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you explain why rinse with "Cold" water? I am guessing there is a reason but I don't know that reason. Thanks!
Sure, cold water cuts soap better than warm water or that is what I have been told.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer warm to hot water for washing and rinsing, just more pleasant.
I don't think Cold, Warm, or Hot truly matters.
I have heard the same theories about using cold vs hot works better and other theories saying hot vs cold works better.

Regarding germ killing.
More over the temperature of the water, its the time duration of the washing.

The following was quoted from the CDC website.
They do not reference any water temperature.
They say use hand sanitizer IF soap and water are not available.

Clean your hands often
  • Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds especially after you have been in a public place, or after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
  • If soap and water are not readily available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol. Cover all surfaces of your hands and rub them together until they feel dry.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
[End Quote]

Deviant Nation

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, cold water cuts soap better than warm water or that is what I have been told.
I prefer warm to hot water for washing and rinsing, just more pleasant.
I don't think Cold, Warm, or Hot truly matters.
I have heard the same theories about using cold vs hot works better and other theories saying hot vs cold works better.

Regarding germ killing.
More over the temperature of the water, its the time duration of the washing.

The following was quoted from the CDC website.
They do not reference any water temperature.
They say use hand sanitizer IF soap and water are not available.

Interesting. I am no scientist that is for sure. But I do know when washing cars with cold water it takes me way longer to wash the soap off than if I use hot water. Same reason I brush my teeth with warm water it just feels like it rinses my mouth out better. Maybe I am weird.:p Guess I will use the theory that cold, warm, or hot whichever I use I will rinse extra long to make sure the soap is gone and call it good. Thanks! :)

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it does. Also on top of cutting soap quicker, there is a lot more chemicals in hot tap water compared to cold water.

I think we are dealing with Symantec's and time here.
As I understand your statements meaning.

The concentration of chemicals would be greater in hot water vs cold.

I would agree only if the water were allowed to gas off as it was boiled in a open container.

But the same would occur with cold water, it would just take a longer period of time to evaporate. But the concentration of chemicals would still remain behind.

In a closed system like your homes plumbing however this would not be the case. As the hot water system has no provision to allow evaporation to occur.

Just like our reefs, as the water evaporates the salt does not and the concentration of the salt will increase. At 78 degrees the evaporation is quicker, and such results in a higher salinity.

But pull the heater and let the tank sit and over time the water will still evaporate and leave the salt behind.

In the end what ever chemicals that can not evaporate will remain behind in the remaining water whether cold or hot, its just the time it will take.

hikermike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alcohol won't hurt the fish witness vodka dosing. However, the other ingredients may. Some have a foaming agent and this would be deadly in tiny amounts as it can dissolve the mucous on the skin but more importantly destroys the surfactant on the gills of the fish which allows the fish to absorb oxygen. (The same issue that causes Resp Distress Disorder in Newborns.) It takes very little detergent/foaming agent to do this. Detergents also contain phosphates in a form that also is very effective at doing this. They may also contain antimicrobials/antiseptics which persist for awhile. Hot water removes soap faster it is a lipid. Soap would coat the gills with an extra layer so not as toxix but rinse well!

Back