Handicapped Banded Coral Shrimp

Kenneth Hooper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a Banded Coral Shrimp in my DT for about 4 months and a month ago I added another one. The two became inseparable immediately keeping close to each other as they searched the tank for food and as they slept (rested?). Within a week, one of them was missing one of his large arms/claws. A couple of days later, the other one was missing one of theirs. A week or so later, one of them was missing both of its arms and now they will only hunt/search one at a time - the other one staying out of sight. And they take turns.
Very confusing as to what's going on.
Will the arms grow back?
I don't know what might be ripping their arms off (I find them on the bottom of the tank).
I have:
(3) Firefish
(4) Chromis
(2) Gobies
A brittle star
A bi-colored angel
A Elbi Angel
Fairy Wrasse
some snails and small hermits
A porcelain crab
(2) Anemones

No fish is over 4" with most 2"-3". The invertebrates are on the small side as well.

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard of appendages slowly growing back before but I think it isn't common. Usually CBS fight eachother until death, but it sounds like yours may have paired up.

I have heard of wrasses going after shrimp but usually a smaller less aggressive type like cleaners. I could see the crab doing it if large enough. I can also see a large brittle star defending itself by wrapping it's arms around the claws as well. I recommend keeping a close eye on them and watching their scavenging habits tonight to see if you can figure this out. I'd hate to hear of 2 clawless CBSs.

OP
OP
K

Kenneth Hooper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AMAZING!
After a molt, the arms grew back. The new arms are skinnier than the one remaining arm but I'm sure they will beef up quickly. Funny thing now is, they no longer appear to be friendly towards one another. Time will tell.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back