Hanging Kessil a360x units for a clean look

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I'm a bit disappointed to see the BRS video that the ceiling mounting brackets on the new kessil a360x units are a bit flimsy and require upgrading to reliably hang from the ceiling. Likewise, it's unfortunate that these high quality and costly lights don't come with a ceiling mounting option. Can you help to clarify the best path for me to hang these beautiful new LEDs?

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The A 360Xs come with a key chain style ring to attach whatever hanging hardware you want. I would just use a toggle bolt and some cable. The ring is sturdy and I would not hesitate to use it.

I am not sure what you mean by ceiling mounting bracket because while the light hardware can stay relatively consistent there are a plethora of ways to attach the mounting points to your ceiling. Each method will be unique to your home.

OP
OP
R

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The A 360Xs come with a key chain style ring to attach whatever hanging hardware you want. I would just use a toggle bolt and some cable. The ring is sturdy and I would not hesitate to use it.

I am not sure what you mean by ceiling mounting bracket because while the light hardware can stay relatively consistent there are a plethora of ways to attach the mounting points to your ceiling. Each method will be unique to your home.
Thanks Montiman. If BRS says it’s flimsy, there got to be a reason. I can’t afford to sugar coat things and have a light plop into the water in 2 years.

Im looking for a minimalist design. Again, kessil should support this for the non DIY gurus. That said, I’ll likely DIY a C bracket with a string of kessil lights and go from there.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't hesitate to use the included ring myself. I have done so in the past with 360s and felt it was secure. on some of the kessil models like the 160 the hanging attachments are much smaller but the 360X feels good to me.

U

User1

View Badges
I wouldn't hesitate to use the included ring myself. I have done so in the past with 360s and felt it was secure. on some of the kessil models like the 160 the hanging attachments are much smaller but the 360X feels good to me.

I use the rings. The only thing I do not like when using it is the cables. Using the ring and depending on how the cables are routed it can tilt the light. Minor issue for sure but using a firm attachment point would alleviate this issue.

But to the point with the ring, it is strong and won't fall. If you do have a concern then you can always route a zip tie or other cable to secure it. Similar to what we do in Ca for earthquakes and hanging chandelier.

OP
OP
R

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These lights are very easy to hang because they are so light. I use a regular hook screw, that screwed into the ceiling and has a hook to hang anything...like planters etc .... I use 20lb fish line and run them 2x thru. This gives a look like the lights are suspended in mid air
Love this idea... thanks for sharing. May try this :)

Bubbythebull

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20191010_165528_3.jpg

U

User1

View Badges
You can also use some hardware and bolt straight to the hole that the ring threads in too. I used aluminum spacers and M5 bolts from McMaster to hang my 360s.
IMG_0683.JPG

M5 - that makes sense. What is the white bar and are you using and some form of spacer?

Looks nice btw.

OP
OP
R

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rings aren't flimsy at all, BRS isn't the authority.
Haha - I respect that. But I did look at them and they are not ideal. They don't fit into the T5/LED hybrid fixture from Aquatic Life, for example. Granted, they do sell a separate metal bracket for this. The ring screw is rather short as well and likely will have to be replaced with a bigger one if adapting/using the metal bracket.

For $400+ dollars, everything should be included for ceiling mounting. Including some long screws. My 2 cents.

This doesn't detract from the reality that I think this is one of the best LEDs out there.

211867-kessil-a360x-le-lighting-acc_1.jpg

OP
OP
R

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also use some hardware and bolt straight to the hole that the ring threads in too. I used aluminum spacers and M5 bolts from McMaster to hang my 360s.
IMG_0683.JPG
Hey there. I'm trying to replicate your Kessil suspension device (via wall brackets). I got all the parts today but forgot to find a few spacers. I'm guessing the spacers are critical to allow space for the cables to exit the 360x units? Do you have a T5 bolt in the spacer itself? Cheers, Ross

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has anyone figured out a wall mounting option that also allows you to tilt the Kessils a bit. My setup has them angled in a bit from the sides of the tank

Back