Hanging out of clownfish mouth...white stringy....?

ReefAZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, please see attached picture. This clown went through humblefish's 10 day chloroquine phosphate protocol, followed by two spaced courses of GC (3 days each). Is currently in a nano for observation (I'll be taking down this nano soon). Fish is eating like a HORSE. So the fish has been in hospital/quarantine for over 3 weeks. So in the last few days....
One and only one problem....what appears to be a worm/parasite sticking to lip/below mouth. NOTE: This is NOT brook ich or velvet...it looks like a piece of dental floss, just thinner. The water was cloudy from using ,y magnet cleaner...the mouth thing is the ONLY problem. Ever seen something like this? Suggestions to treat it? I have GC at home but can buy whatever on the fly, as needed. Thanks.

IMG_20190918_164348.jpg IMG_20190918_164351.jpg IMG_20190918_164447.jpg

OP
OP
R

ReefAZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it still there?
Reef lover yes. As he is eating like a pig I feel I have a little time. I have started out with food soaked in General cure. 36 hours into it, the white parasite (I think it's a parasite) is still there. If still there tomorrow, my options to get more aggressive with meds I have on hand would be hospital tank and use formalin. He was in humblefish's formula of chloroquine phosphate for 12 days, so I'm not sure it makes sense to try that. Any thoughts?

OP
OP
R

ReefAZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried to manually remove it?
Not yet... but as I will be moving him to a true hospital tank, when I scoop him out I can
put in a mason jar and try. However, the parasite clearly is rooted into him...that is, when he swims, the whole thing doesn't float around in different directions
***PS to prior post... I will do a freshwater dip before he goes into a treated hospital tank (again, probably will try formalin). Any other suggestions please let me know!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not yet... but as I will be moving him to a true hospital tank, when I scoop him out I can
put in a mason jar and try. However, the parasite clearly is rooted into him...that is, when he swims, the whole thing doesn't float around in different directions
***PS to prior post... I will do a freshwater dip before he goes into a treated hospital tank (again, probably will try formalin). Any other suggestions please let me know!
I agree that a formalin dip would also be a good thing to try.

OP
OP
R

ReefAZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that a formalin dip would also be a good thing to try.
I was actually thinking low dose formalin in the hospital tank over several days as per guidelines from humblefish. However, that's just because I have never done a formalin dip so afraid of it. I think you are right...I need to suck it up and just do a formalin dip (properly) to get this thing off him fast as possible.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually thinking low dose formalin in the hospital tank over several days as per guidelines from humblefish. However, that's just because I have never done a formalin dip so afraid of it. I think you are right...I need to suck it up and just do a formalin dip (properly) to get this thing off him fast as possible.
I am afraid of formalin also, so I have never used it. It's pretty nasty stuff. It's probably why my initial thought was the FW dip and I would still try that first. In a HT it is easy enough to catch a fish so you can always do a formalin dip if the FW dip doesn't work.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too would start with a freshwater dip, then perhaps a prazi dip. (Prazi is more effective as a dip for things like this— the instructions on the bottle work well often).

Wait 24 hours if it does not work, then try the formalin. I am guessing it’s a type of worm. Almost looks like it was eating white stringy poo from another fish that somehow got stuck... which seems pretty unlikely.

OP
OP
R

ReefAZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am afraid of formalin also, so I have never used it. It's pretty nasty stuff. It's probably why my initial thought was the FW dip and I would still try that first. In a HT it is easy enough to catch a fish so you can always do a formalin dip if the FW dip doesn't work.

Tried freshwater dip... looks like it didn't do anything. So formalin probably tomorrow.

OP
OP
R

ReefAZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too would start with a freshwater dip, then perhaps a prazi dip. (Prazi is more effective as a dip for things like this— the instructions on the bottle work well often).

Wait 24 hours if it does not work, then try the formalin. I am guessing it’s a type of worm. Almost looks like it was eating white stringy poo from another fish that somehow got stuck... which seems pretty unlikely.
Freshwater dip did not appear to have dislodged the thing. I can try prazi dip tomorrow, and if no progress.....formalin end of weekend. Thanks for thoughts.

OP
OP
R

ReefAZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will post a complete update later, but... hydrogen peroxide dip per humblefish recommends did the trip, so nor formal treatment needed. Fish will remain under observation, but so far so good!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back