Hanna a reagents are horrible

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
Scdell

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda what I think. They tell me on here it's from exposure to air. What good is a test kit if you can't open the reagent???

OP
OP
Scdell

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's see now. Thread in review:
Make sure you shake the bottle before opening.
Make sure you take the foil off the bottle.
Open the reagent for the test and make sure to close it as soon as possible.
If you have the stringy things you exposed it to too much air and the reagent is no longer good. Buy a new bottle.
Hmmmmm. Sounds like even the people defending Hanna are having issues????

OP
OP
Scdell

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW. Hanna shows about .7- 1 DKH higher than ICP tests. Salifert is real close to ICP
$50 tester or $15000 tester. I know which one I'll trust.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's see now. Thread in review:
Make sure you shake the bottle before opening.
Make sure you take the foil off the bottle.
Open the reagent for the test and make sure to close it as soon as possible.
If you have the stringy things you exposed it to too much air and the reagent is no longer good. Buy a new bottle.
Hmmmmm. Sounds like even the people defending Hanna are having issues????
I have never had issues with my alk. tester reagent. try not to assume. ( contact : Hanna amd the outfit you bought your reagent from.) ( hint: use BRS. never had issues ever). IMO most issues are with the person doing the test. me included.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And before you ask “what’s the difference” between buying from an lfs and having it shipped direct (or call it gaslighting), most lfs buy direct from a large distributor which delivers fish and corals in the same truck as their reagents. The reagents are in transit much less buying from an lfs opposed to buying from brs where it gets sent from Hanna to brs, then sent from brs via economy shipping where the reagents sit in hot trucks and on the tarmac for hours on end day after day. It’s not gaslighting. This isn’t something that you can expect to be scientifically precise, it’s a $50 tester and the reagents are some mere $7. It will vary batch to batch if you like it or not. I think we can all agree that things, in not ideal conditions, don’t last as long as they should. If you expect a precise tester with lab grade results, buy a trident or an all Alkatronic.
FYI. Buy your regents during the winter if you can, so heat is less of a problem. On the side share: Buy a magnetic stirrer,beakers and the correct stirrer beads as required. source: (Amazon)

OP
OP
Scdell

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had issues with my alk. tester reagent. try not to assume. ( contact : Hanna amd the outfit you bought your reagent from.) ( hint: use BRS. never had issues ever). IMO most issues are with the person doing the test. me included.
And I'm glad for you. Now we'll add another thing to the list of how to make this tester work correctly. And yet no one is having an issue with it???? Pshaw
I'm sorry, this tester should work across the board uniformly. And it did for me for years. Until the last 4-6 months. Now it's a point of sale. I have about 1 -2 months until I get the Ion director and this tester will get it's just treatment.

OP
OP
Scdell

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I'm glad for you. Now we'll add another thing to the list of how to make this tester work correctly. And yet no one is having an issue with it???? Pshaw
I'm sorry, this tester should work across the board uniformly. And it did for me for years. Until the last 4-6 months. Now it's a point of sale. I have about 1 -2 months until I get the Ion director and this tester will get it's just treatment.
maybe if you bought a new one or learn why during the last4- 6 months you can not get the results you need, your issues would go away. try this: you can buy a calibration kit from brs that can tell you if your tester is working correctly or not. maybe get some definitive results. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/hi772-11-alkalinity-dkh-calibration-check-set.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scdell

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe if you bought a new one or learn why during the last4- 6 months you can not get the results you need, your issues would go away. try this: you can buy a calibration kit from brs that can tell you if your tester is working correctly or not. maybe get some definitive results. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/hi772-11-alkalinity-dkh-calibration-check-set.html
Maybe all the "fanboys" should read through the post above. Then learn that your fancy lab grade tester is nothing more than a low grade hobby tester that doesn't work as good as some cheaper alternatives.
But even if you do read through it? You'll just refuse to believe your precious little tester has flaws. Reality check.

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol

Attachments

• tenor.gif
    tenor.gif
    67 KB · Views: 58

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hanna checkers are a hobby grade test kit. Do you think that for £70 you are going to get lab grade equipment?
Go on to Hanna website, the aquatic side of their equipment is miniscule compared to their science and medical field. The only thing cheap on their website is to do with the aquatic side of their business. That tells you that you are only getting cheap kit, they are not going to bring out a calcium test kit for an aquarium that costs £1000 because nobody would buy it, so hence we have the pocket checkers which are cheap and cheerful and not very accurate/consistent (but good enough for our use) and give a digital read.
A hobby grade test kit is exactly that, hobby grade, whether its salifert, red sea, elos, whatever, the only difference between Hanna and everything else is the fact its a digital readout, which for some who have poor eyesight or find it hard to see colour change, its a godsend.
A hanna alk checker may read 8.0 but given its stated accuracy it could be 7.5 or 8.5, is that any better than a Salifert test kit? no it's not.
So please stop thinking the Hanna checkers are this holy grail of manual testing, they are not.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
R2R was founded on the simple premise to develop a warm, friendly, suitable place to gather and discuss this hobby for people of all ages, backgrounds, and experience levels. The “Be Nice” policy is something we take very seriously.

We highly encourage healthy debate here and understand not everyone will agree on all issues. In fact, we value healthy and even lively discussion of hobby issues and questions...this actually leads to advancements in our hobby, so we ALL win through these debates. We are not asking you to cease debating your positions. What we are asking is that you do so in a healthy, respectful manner.

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why isn't the kh reagent in a dropper bottle so you don't have to use a syringe?
I mean, 7 (or 8 or whatever) drops are 1.0 ml too. So much easier if you could drop it.

By the way, anyone found out what the reagent is? I'll bet the real value is like 3 cents if you know what stuff it is.

JohnMzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the hanna alk tester. Used it about twice before I went back to my red sea pro kit. The red sea is just a better - more efficient, economical, consistent.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I read that. So....I guess somehow we have to count how many tests we use as we go along?
That makes for a further pain and doesn't quite make sense to me. Why would they do that?
I would think it is similar to why they say not to draw reagent from the bottom of the container.

I use a sharpie to mark the cap with hash marks to count how many times I've used the reagent.
20210825_233155[357].jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back