Hanna Alk Checker Inconsistency

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

redpine42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did my usual alk reading the morning. Yesterdays was 7.8. This morning I got 9.2, so I checked a second time I got 7.1. Both vials looked identical colors.

That's a lot of variation. The values had been steady before, so what gives to get that kind of swing with maybe a minute apart this morning?

Averhoeven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always make sure I wipe the tube off real well by spinning it in my shirt or a towel. The copper test is super sensitive to smudges on the glass so I learned the habit, whether that's true for alk I'm not sure, I just do it

hansy65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using the line on the vial or do you use a syringe to put in 10ml?
I use the line on the vial
I always make sure I wipe the tube off real well by spinning it in my shirt or a towel. The copper test is super sensitive to smudges on the glass so I learned the habit, whether that's true for alk I'm not sure, I just do it
And yes, make sure you wipe the glass vial.
As a part of maintenance, I wipe the inner sensor inside the tester carefully

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure there are no particles once you add the reagent. I’ve had a couple bad bottles that had large particles that definitely affected the readings when they got in the way of the sensor.

OP
OP
redpine42

redpine42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the line on the vial

And yes, make sure you wipe the glass vial.
As a part of maintenance, I wipe the inner sensor inside the tester carefully

I wipe the vials every time. Haven't tried wiping the inside though.

I could see the battery affecting it or concentration of the liquid.

OP
OP
redpine42

redpine42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure there are no particles once you add the reagent. I’ve had a couple bad bottles that had large particles that definitely affected the readings when they got in the way of the sensor.
I just got two new bottles of reagent. I'll try a new one.

Phillyd1990

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only say this because I read they arnt always correct. On my hanna phosphate checker 10ml from the syringe goes right to the line but 10 ml in my vial from my alk checker goes considerably over the line

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a brand new one from BRS for convenience versus my usual Red Sea tests. Readings were 7.6 DKH instead of the 8.4 I was getting from Red Sea. Of course this was a little disconcerting so ordered a Salifert kit just to see which was correct. Salifert reading was 8.3. Working on returning to BRS but what if I had started with the Hanna never knew the difference? Should not be that far off right out of the box.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a brand new one from BRS for convenience versus my usual Red Sea tests. Readings were 7.6 DKH instead of the 8.4 I was getting from Red Sea. Of course this was a little disconcerting so ordered a Salifert kit just to see which was correct. Salifert reading was 8.3. Working on returning to BRS but what if I had started with the Hanna never knew the difference? Should not be that far off right out of the box.

I have the same brands you listed. The Hanna is consistently .8-1.0dkh lower than the Salifert and Red Sea kits. I've gone through several bottles of reagent and get the same results. I will say the Hanna has been super consistent and reliable for me.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have generally been reliable for me also but I made a mistake in first statement. Hanna test result is 6.7 DKH so there is a 1.7 difference. Pretty sure my inhabitants would not be very pleased with that so going to do an ICP test and see where they land.

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have the same brands you listed. The Hanna is consistently .8-1.0dkh lower than the Salifert and Red Sea kits. I've gone through several bottles of reagent and get the same results. I will say the Hanna has been super consistent and reliable for me.

So wait, any idea which one was more correct? Not that it much matters so long as it's consistent but being 1.7dKH low is a lot... I was going to get one, but now idk.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I scratched vials using a tshirt, so I forked over the cash for new vials and the wipes Hannah sells. Those scratches can effect your readings.
Also sometimes the vials become stained, they sell a cleaning solution to help with that

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought brand new vials and still have inconsistent readings with copper meter. I have no faith in them.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So wait, any idea which one was more correct? Not that it much matters so long as it's consistent but being 1.7dKH low is a lot... I was going to get one, but now idk.

I've been using Salifert for over 10 years. I've grown to trust the brand.

My Hanna checker is .8dkh lower than my Salifert test. The Hanna is 1.0dkh lower than my Res Sea test.

That said, I really do like the Hanna alk checker. It's easy to use. Consistent test to test. Just need to make sure to follow the vial cleaning instructions. I typically round the test result up by .4dkh to split the difference between the Salifert and the Hanna.

Looking for consistency and ease of use myself. Hanna delivers their, imo.

OP
OP
redpine42

redpine42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using Salifert for over 10 years. I've grown to trust the brand.

My Hanna checker is .8dkh lower than my Salifert test. The Hanna is 1.0dkh lower than my Res Sea test.

That said, I really do like the Hanna alk checker. It's easy to use. Consistent test to test. Just need to make sure to follow the vial cleaning instructions. I typically round the test result up by .4dkh to split the difference between the Salifert and the Hanna.

Looking for consistency and ease of use myself. Hanna delivers their, imo.
I like Hanna too. It’s been consistent.

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought brand new vials and still have inconsistent readings with copper meter. I have no faith in them.

I've had decent experience with my copper checker in consistency. I can only assume it's accuracy though obviously, but my readings were very close to the copper treatment advised levels when fresh dosed.

My new one is consistent also. But if it is consistently wrong then it is no good to me.

Yea. I've gotten used to reading with my Red Sea kit and can get pretty consistent results. Hanna would just be easier to be lazy but it would need to be accurate.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 52 85.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back